Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Horace F Hill

griffo

Researching Local War Memorial looking for more info on Captain Horace F Hill of the 18th Middlesex Regiment Killed in Action on the 5th September 1917Holder of the Military Cross, would have been from the Newcastle under Lyme Staffs area any Info gladly recieved Griffo

From his MIC - Horace Frederick Hill; Theatre of War (1) [France, I believe]; date of entry therein 14.11.1915; entitlement to 1915 Star as well as BM and VM; MC noted; medals sent to his father Capt AA Hill of 18 St Alwyns, Hove, Sussex.

There's also a card for a Temp Capt H F Hill (Service Battn) giving an MID gazetted 15-6-16 Page 5947 - possibly the same man?

Soldiers died in the Great War:

Name: Horace Frederick Hill

Death Date: 5 Sep 1917

Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

Battalion: 18th Battalion

Decoration: MC

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds (MIC says "Died")

CWGC entry shows him as buried/commemorated at Ridge Wood: http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=443233

[Edited to add: thought I recognised the date and page number: pulled it up for the Major Stanley King thread recently! http://www.london-ga...upplements/5947]

1911 census;

HILL HORACE FREDERICK M 1897 14 Wolstanton Staffordshire

On the 1901 census, he is aged four and living at Hall House, High Street, Wolstanton. His father is a physician and surgeon.

1901 census - Horace Hill born 1897 living with his parent Arthur (physician and surgeon) and Lucie at Tunstall in the registration district of Wolstanton, Parliamentary borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme. I can only see one other candidate (father Albert) but he's at Stoke on Trent.

[Edited to add: I see IPT beat me to it]

Griffo

His service record is at Kew under WO339/25089.Not digital as yet,so you need to either get a copy made (hen's teeth springs to mind here !),go and read it,or get someone else to do that for you !

Sotonmate

There's a brief obituary in the British Medical Journal which states that his father AA Hill was a captain in the RAMC.

He attended the High School, Newcastle-under-Lyme and was a scholar at Clare College, cambridge. He was about to proceed to that university when he responded to the call. He was not 19 when he was gazetted captain, and besides winning the MC had been mentioned in dispatches on previous ocasions for his excellent work as a pioneer officer.