Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happened to the Portsmouth 14th Volunteers on 3/9/1916?

Cathy

Hello,

Here I am back again - tracing the footsteps of another ancestor.

This was a Private James Matthew Powell He joined the Portsmouth 14th Volunteers.He saw action at Hamel north of the river Ancre

on the Somme. He received a gun shot wound to the left arm. His Regt. No 21040. His MIC shows that he was awarded the Victory and

the British Medals and was granted the Silver War Badge.. I also know that he recovered from his wounds.

I just wondered if there is anyway that I could find an account of the happenings on the battlefield that day and just what happened

to the Portsmouth 14th Volunteers after that? I know that they became part of the Hampshire Regt. but was that after the 3/9/1916?

Regards,

Cathy

Cathy

They were the 1st Portsmouth Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment from their forming in Sept 1914,and were designated the 14th Battalion Hampshire Regt in May 1915. Landed in Le Havre March 1916.War Diary from that point was WO95/2583 which isn't yet digital. Quite how you can decide when and where he was wounded is another matter !

Sotonmate

Hello,

I contacted The Royal Hampshire Regt. Research Profile and was given the area that he was fighting in etc. As you say, there may not

be any account of that day. I just wondered if, perhaps, there had been a diary by an old soldier who was there on the day. I know that

some WW1 diaries are being published.

Thanks for the information about the Portsmouth 14th Volunteers.

Kind regards

Cathy