Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Defence corp

sarah0623

Hi - can anyone help?

Family lore suggests that George Alfred Kimber born around 1860 was in the army - posted to India where his first wife and two daughters died. My nan remembers him getting a letter asking for money for the upkeep of the graves?? He then remarried in 1914 to Frances Lovegrove. His marriage cert on ancestry.co.uk says he is a soldier. His son's birth certificate says he is in the RDC (in 1917) We can't however find ANY information about him. There doesn't seem to be any service records or medal index records about him - either for WW1 or previous service.

If anyone can shed light on what i'm doing wrong i'd appreciate it as we'd like to know what Great great grandad Kimber did!!

Thanks, Sarah

We have had some recent threads on the RDC - it might be worth you using the search facility for them.

There would be no medals issues to him as he was employed on home defence duties - probably guarding installations of military importance such as railyards, docks, munition factories etc.

His original service paper for his "Victorian" military service may be available at Kew. A birth certificate of chidlren from the first marriage may give you his regiment.

Regards,

Jonathan S