Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3348 Private William Bainbridge

DavoT

Good evening forum members,

I have been doing some research on this soldier the past few days. He has two MIC's. Interestingly he is named Bambridge on the 14/15 Star card and Bainbridge on the other plus all other references to him. He first entered Egypt on 30 Aug 1915, later arriving in France I believe in February 1916 with the reformed 56th (London) Division as part of 169th Brigade. William was in 1/2nd Bn London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). Having read the LLT, would he have seen any action while in the Egyptian theatre? As indicated he was KIA on 1 July 1916 and is buried in Gommecourt British Cemetery No 2 Hebuterne. He is not forgotten :poppy:

David

David

1/2 were in Malta from Sep 1914 to Jan 1915,then moved to France.No move further east was made,so if 1/2 was his unit then he didn't hit Egypt.

2/2 relieved 1/2 in Malta Jan 1915 then went on to Egypt Aug 1915. Landed at Gallipoli Oct 1915,and in Jan 1916 moved back to Egypt,and was part of 53 Division. Apr 1916 to France. 2/2 disbanded in Jun 1916 and 3/2 became 2/2 at that time ! This is in the Long Long Trail. There didn't seem to be any set battles whilst the 2/2 was in Egypt. Could that have been his unit at the time ?

Sotonmate

Hello Sotonmate,

thanks for your reply. This is where I was getting a little confused as I followed all that info from TLLT and was wondering if indeed he did start off in another battalion. Soldiers Killed on the First Day of the Somme has him in 1/2nd and as you may have seen, both his MICs, Soldiers died etc just shows 2nd London along with his headstone. I followed the different Divisional trails to try to marry up the date for entry into Egypt unless he was a reinforcement or the like. Any other info appreciated. Thanks again.

David