Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buried at Halifax (Stoney Royd) Cemetary

Cathy

Hello,.

You were so kind in showing an interest in my last request. I have decided to try again on a new subject.

An ancestor of mine was a Sgt. in The West Riding Regt during WW1 and he died in 1917. He was awarded the British Medal only. According to the MIC.

Does this mean that he did not serve abroad during WW1? He is buried in the Halifax (Stoney Royd) Cemetary.

Kind regards,

Cathy

Hi Cathy

Can you give us his other details, so we can look at his MIC , CWGC etc.

regards

Robert

Cathy

The crystal ball is clearing...and it's John J Wilson 3748 Sgt Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regt ! SDGW shows him as Died 13.10.1917 at home. It also shows him born Halifax,enlisted Portsmouth,and with the 1st Battalion. This unit was in India in 1914 and remained there for the duration of the war,his single medal would bear out that he served there too,the BWM was issued when a soldier left these shores for a foreign place,and not necessarily a war zone.We can only assume that he came home with sickness ,maybe wounds,and died here.

Sotonmate

Hi Cathy

Sgt John J Wilson, was married to Kathrine Norah Wilson, and lived at 2, Lilac Villas, Hayling, Hants he died of pneumonia 13/10/1917, The Duke of Wellington's Regimental Depot was in Halifax. hope this helps Kindest Regards DaveC

Hello.

Many thanks with the help you have given me regarding my ancestor Sgt J Wilson.

I will add all the facts to my family tree.

It is sad to have found quite a number of my ancestors died in WW1. Your Forum is wonderful in helping to bring us all together after so

many years have past.

Kind regards

Cathy

Hello.

Many thanks with the help you have given me regarding my ancestor Sgt J Wilson.

I will add all the facts to my family tree.

It is sad to have found quite a number of my ancestors died in WW1. Your Forum is wonderful in helping to bring us all together after so

many years have past.

Kind regards

Cathy

Hello DaveC,

Thank you for your very detailed reply - even given me the address in Hayling. I wondered if you would be interested to know that Sgt. John Wilson`s

father was also in the Army. I found him on the 1881 census as a Colour Sgt. at the Soldiers Bks. 9th Brigade Depot in Halifax. His wife Ann and his son

John Wilson jnr. plus his daughter Annie were there with him. On the 1901 census his wife is shown as a widow. I do not know if he died during his Army

service.

Thanks again,

Cathy

Cathy

It might be that he was killed or died in the Boer War 1899-1902. If you post his Christian name(s) and maybe a Regiment he could be found in the Ancestry UK site for Boer War Casualties,if course it was there that he died.

Sotonmate

PS was it John too ? You mention John Jr.

Cathy, Have you taken a look at the headstone on the grave in Stoney Royd Cemetery? It may be that there's extra information inscribed on it. Plus they may have more information at the relevant records office for that particular cemetery.

Stoney Royd's records are held at Parkwood Crematorium and you can email them from this page:

Calderdale Council website

Hello,

Many thanks for your advice. I shall continue the search. It looks as though John Wilson Snr. may have died quite soon after the 1881 census. No proof as to

whether he died in England or abroad..

Kind regards

Cathy

I wondered if John Snr might have been mentioned on the family grave headstone, or even in the grave registers.

Hi Cathy

I have a Photo of Sgt John Wilsons Grave it's a CWGC grave headstone, but unfotunatly it's not on his grave as it say Buried in this graveyard, so i think it's more of a remorial head stone up by the Cross of Sacrific. There was a Cpl J Wilson with the 1st Bn in the Boer War, as his name appears on the medal list. Please let me know if you want a copy of the Photo. Kindest Regards DaveC

I wondered if John Snr might have been mentioned on the family grave headstone, or even in the grave registers.

Hello,

That may be the case. I will try to link into that site and find out.

Kind regards

Cathy

Hi Cathy

I have a Photo of Sgt John Wilsons Grave it's a CWGC grave headstone, but unfotunatly it's not on his grave as it say Buried in this graveyard, so i think it's more of a remorial head stone up by the Cross of Sacrific. There was a Cpl J Wilson with the 1st Bn in the Boer War, as his name appears on the medal list. Please let me know if you want a copy of the Photo. Kindest Regards DaveC

Hello,

Thank you DaveC, I would very much like a photo of Sgt. John Wilson`s Grave.

Regarding Sgt John Wilson Snr. on further research, it looks as though he died around 1882. Wouldn`t that take us out of the Boer War period?.

Kind regards

Cathy

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

I will look into the possible chances that he was involved in the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War.

Kind regards

Cathy

Hello,

Thank you DaveC, I would very much like a photo of Sgt. John Wilson`s Grave.

Regarding Sgt John Wilson Snr. on further research, it looks as though he died around 1882. Wouldn`t that take us out of the Boer War period?.

Kind regards

Cathy

Hi Cathy I've tried to attach the photo, but it's saying it''s to big. If you PM me your email address, I'll see if i can send via that way. Regards DaveC

Hi DaveC,

Many thanks for trying to send me the photo. I wonder if it is the one of Halifax (Stoney Royd) Cementary from a distance?

I do have that one.

Anyway, I do not want to put you to any further trouble.

Kind regards,

Cathy

Hi DaveC,

Many thanks for trying to send me the photo. I wonder if it is the one of Halifax (Stoney Royd) Cementary from a distance?

I do have that one.

Anyway, I do not want to put you to any further trouble.

Kind regards,

Cathy

Hi Cathy

Hope this worked Regards DaveCpost-45185-090423200 1281442544.jpg

Hello DaveC,

Many thanks for the picture. It worked a treat.

Just hope I did not put you to too much trouble

.It really is so thoughtful of you.

Kind regards,

Cathy