Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusiliers, 11th Battalion

karenwh1

My grandmother's brother, Thomas Crosby born 1889/1890 in Runcorn, Cheshire, was Private 25793 in the Lancashire Fusliers, 11th Battalion. Killed in action on January 22, 1917. Probably died in Belgium. There has been a mix up with another Thomas Crosby at the Commonwealth War Graves Commision. The other Thomas Crosby, was a Sergeant, died September 4, 1917. They have listed our Thomas Crosby, along with his correct date of death, and his wife & their correct home address, but they've listed the other Thomas Crosby's parents. Along with combining two soldiers into one, the original paperwork sent to Thomas Crosby's mother (my great-grandmother) said he was buried in Delville Wood, France. He may have originally been buried in Delville Wood, or maybe it's the "other" Thomas Crosby, but I have now found our Thomas Crosby and 17 other soldiers who all died on January 22, 1917, from the Lancashire Fusiliers, 11th Battalion, all buried/memorialized at Berks Cemetery Extension, Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium.

It just seems like an awful mistake since some of my relatives have gone to Delville Wood in France to see his grave but they were unable to find it. I have a cousin in England that is working on getting this mix-up corrected.

My reason for posting here is to find out if anyone knows what happened to them on that date. I've tried Googling it many different ways and I've spent hours trying to find the information. I'd appreciate any details you may have.

Thanks!

Wow! Thank you so much for the quick response! I knew someone here would have the information. Reading through the postings at this site has been fascinating & enlightening... and at times, sad.

Greatly appreciate the help.

Thank you.