Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wightman Brothers (Fitzroy Avenue, Belfast)

hen190782

As I have already had to update the Servicemen Profiles document, I though I may as well ask the good folks on this forum if they can help fill in some blanks on the Wightman Brothers. The family lived at 112 Fitzroy Avenue from 1907 and five brothers served in the Great War.

I have info. and photos. of Sergeant Major Brice Miller Wightman (RAMC, wounded and gallantry awards) and Rifleman Herbert Wightman (Royal Irish Rifles, died on on 23rd November 1915), but I have no info. on the other three brothers:

George Frederick Wightman,

David Alexander Wightman (wounded)

William Vint Wightman (wounded).

I would welcome any information (Rank, Service Number, Regiment, Battalion, etc.) any any of these men - photos would be especially welcome:thumbsup:

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel

There are many Medal Cards for all three first names you have posted,but none with the second name/initial. We can't assume that they were in Irish regiments as when conscription began they would have been posted where the need was greatest.

I did a check of Service and pension records but again none seen with both the names,and the address you quote.

No further info from War Graves site either,checked just in case.

It might be worth seeing if you can find Absent Voters Lists for them for 1918,that's if they were old enough to vote (21 then). These lists often show unit serving in.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate

Thanks for the reply, I will see if I can dig out the Absent Voters List for the 1918 General Election.

Nigel