Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book question

Steven Broomfield

Popped into Winchester this afternoon and visited the antiquarian/second hand booksellers The Winchester Book Shop, as I always do. The chap had just got this book out of a box: Uniforms and Equipment of the British Army in WW1, by Stephen J Chambers. It was published in the US in 2005, and contains 600+ "rare and unseen" photographs of British and Dominion soldiers and equipment.

It looked pretty good: well-reproduced photos and nice quality, sort of coffee table booke size. I've not seen the book before and wondered if it's worth the £45 being asked for it. According to the seller, it wasn't widely released this side of the pond. Antone know it? Is it worth buying?

I've got this book. As I recall I was a bit disappointed there were no photographs of Royal West Kent's until later on in the book, otherwise I have found it very useful. Stephen Chambers uses postcards to portray the history and development of the British army uniform and equipment - the book is a weighty tomb printed on quality paper for top class reproduction of the postcards. Im not sure how many postcards are included but you wouldnt get many for the £45 being asked for. I've never regretted parting with my money for this book.

Stephen Chambers is also a member of the Forum.

I hope this helps!?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Edited - Steve, just re-read the thread and realised you mention there are circa 600 photographs and postcards. That makes me think the £45 is really good value if you consider the cheapest postcards go for something like £5 each.

On ebay new for £55. That seems to be the going rate on other sites.

e.g.

http://www.landmarkmilitarybooks.com/UNIFORMS-EQUIPMENT-OF-THE-BRITISH-ARMY-IN-WORLD-WAR-1-A-Study-in-Period-Photographs-pr-1802.html

$47 on Amazon.com but shipping to UK would cost a bit.

John

Hello

I've bought the book over a year ago and find it very interesting because you can see a lot off details of the uniforms . I've payed 50 euro.

Pat

Worth buying? If you are interested in the subject, it is indispensable. Just about every aspect of the uniform and equipment of the British Army is covered, including a substantial section on the period immediately preceding the war. This is the classic (indeed, the only) work of its kind, and likely to remain so. I think my copy cost me £60, and it was worth every penny. Highly recommended.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be back to the shop next Saturday, then.

Steve,

I have a copy of this book and wouldn't part with it. As mentioned it does contain a good pre-war section, as well as sections on motor transport, Army Service Corps and RAMC. Aside from that it is an exceptional collection of photographs. It also covers uniforms of the commonwealth countries in a section.

If I had a small criticism of the book it would be that it is more a collection of photographs than a reference book. I also have the book on uniforms and equipment of the AEF by the same publisher and it is laid out in a more logical manner with colour photographs of period weapons and equipment, as well as period photos and photos of re-enactors wearing and using the gear. I guess it depends on what you prefer.

Surprisingly it is the only book on the war that I own that guests often pick up and have a good browse through- always commenting on the quality of the book and the photographs.

Scott

I agree with Scott, a collection of photographs, there are far more variations of uniforms etc than can be shown even in this large book, don't buy it if you think it will be anywhere near a difinitive collection to identify uniform etc. I would suggest its more of a coffee table book to flick through when the mood takes.

I'm suprised its still selling at that price.

Mick

There was a thread about this book when it was first published - while some of the captions to the pictures are brief there is nothing else published that would give you anywhere near the number or quality of those pictures reproduced. Even Grumpy was impressed!

At £45, camp on the chap's doorstep and harrass him to exchange the book for your cash.

You will not regret it for a moment.

Coffee table book? Sorry - this is probably the best value book I own - & I have a few! One of the most useful references for British uniforms of the period & unlikely to be improved upon. No serious student of the subject should be without it. Jump at it!

Chris P.

I think you had best ring up and ask the seller to hold the book for you if you want it. You've given the name of shop and there are bound to be other members who live in the Winchester area...Cheers, Paul.