Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Orbost World War 1 casualities

junior613

I am researching those who dies in the First World War with a connection with the town of Orbost, Victoria, Australia. Have already trolled through the AWN, CWGC & NAA sites. Just wondering if anybody out there has anything else. Hoping for photos, letters etc.

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dave,

as a detail that might be of interest - we have a tree carving on the Training Estate of Salisbury Plain left by Pte Alexander Todd. This was carved in Halfmoon Copse close to the Bustard training trenches used by the Australian Third Division. Hence 10 AIF = 10th Brigade. Does clearly mention Orbost though the 'S' is reversed. Alexander Todd was the only A.T. from Orbost in the 10th Brigade. As you know, his records are available online at the National Archives of Australia, or via the research a person function on the AWM website. Todd was killed in 1918 by the Hindenburg line. More on the Bustard training in 'Digging up Plugstree' by myself and Martin Brown if you are interested (sorry for shameless plug..!)

all things good

Richard

post-1506-013477900 1281194185.jpg

Hi Dave. If you click in the place box, ( not in family name box ) type in orbost, and mapping our anzacs comes up with 127 soldiers

2vcgarn.jpg

2qbakk4.jpg

Cheers Mike

Cheers rgartillery,

I've had a little play with this but you've spurred me onto giving it some more time. Thanks for the welcome.

Dave,

Have a look at the link below and go to mapping our anzacs. I am not sure if it will show casualties but it definitely shows how many men joined from a specific location.

http://www.naa.gov.a...s/army-wwi.aspx

Afterthought - Welcome to the forum from Canberra

Richard, This is great. In 2007, I travelled around the Western Front and founf Todd's final resting place. Will the tree still be standing in 2013 as I'm coming back over that way for a couple of months to photograph all the Orbost men from my research ? / Is it posible to be able to see it ?

Cheers

Dave

By the way the plug worked

Hello Dave,

as a detail that might be of interest - we have a tree carving on the Training Estate of Salisbury Plain left by Pte Alexander Todd. This was carved in Halfmoon Copse close to the Bustard training trenches used by the Australian Third Division. Hence 10 AIF = 10th Brigade. Does clearly mention Orbost though the 'S' is reversed. Alexander Todd was the only A.T. from Orbost in the 10th Brigade. As you know, his records are available online at the National Archives of Australia, or via the research a person function on the AWM website. Todd was killed in 1918 by the Hindenburg line. More on the Bustard training in 'Digging up Plugstree' by myself and Martin Brown if you are interested (sorry for shameless plug..!)

all things good

Richard

post-1506-013477900 1281194185.jpg

post-55574-085601600 1281502103.jpg

Junior,

Have you looked at the war memorials around town and the district? They will be quite accurate. And make the point to look at all in the surrounding towns.

Cheers,

Hendo

Have been back a few times over the last year, there wasa board for the whole district & after checking 250 names I found a few that were listed as returned that actually didn't. I think I've got them all, so the search is now on for photos, letters & diaries. Cheers Dave.

Junior,

Have you looked at the war memorials around town and the district? They will be quite accurate. And make the point to look at all in the surrounding towns.

Cheers,

Hendo