Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Burt DCM

henery

Hi all

I have been trying to find out about the details of a William Burt who is listed on CWGC as having been killed in 1918.

He is listed as Company Quartermaster Sergeant Service No G/3635 7th Bn The Buffs (East Kent) 7th Bn..

His father is listed as William Edwin Burt ,mother is Jane. Address Woodcock St a 'back to back' 8 House 8 Court.should read Gosta Green,Birmingham.

I seem to remember some of my other Uncles who were too young to serve in the Great War but would (whenever they met) go thro a ceremony which seemed to relate to him and ended with 'Steady the Buffs'.

Hope you can help.

henery

His MIC says he died of wounds. I would imagine his service papers are with the officers' records available at the National Archives. You could post in the look-up section if no-one already has them. Some of us go to Kew from time to time. My next visit will be early September and I'd be happy to look at them then if nothing comes up beforehand.

henery

There seems to be no service record on Ancestry UK,so maybe it was lost in 1940.

Sotonmate

His MIC says he died of wounds. I would imagine his service papers are with the officers' records available at the National Archives. You could post in the look-up section if no-one already has them. Some of us go to Kew from time to time. My next visit will be early September and I'd be happy to look at them then if nothing comes up beforehand.

verrico 2009

Many thanks verrico for your offer to look for William Burt on your forthcoming visit to Kew. That would be much appreciated.

I have a nephew who will be visiting the WW 1 Cemeteries in France next week and I intend to ask him to see if he can find an inscription.

Regards

henery