Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals

Devils Own

Hi Everybody

I recently got hold of a photo of my GD in a hospital after WWI. He is wearing the blue and white uniform associated with it. He was wounded and taken prisoner in October 1918 and was taken to hospital in Koln. I assuming that the picture is of a British hospital following his return to Britain (as he has the uniform on). Is there any way of working out were the hospital was and if there were any lists of patients?

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Have you checked for his service record yet ? You could add his name and unit details here and there might be more of a response when this is known.

Sotonmate

Steve

Have you checked for his service record yet ? You could add his name and unit details here and there might be more of a response when this is known.

Sotonmate

Burnt, I'm afraid. But I pretty much know about most of his record. I am just trying to fill in the hospital bit.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

In the absence of specifics the casualty records have a representative sample retained at the National Archives under MH106,but by far the majority was destroyed after a study was carried out between the wars. In short,it is unlikely that any record will have survived.

Sotonmate

There you go. Not much to go on I think. But it must be in the UK?

Steve

post-7896-012803300 1281135456.jpg

I suppose I am really wondering if there were a set number of specific clearing hospitals of which this must be one.

DO

I have seen a similar photo which was of the "Welsh Huts" extensions for WW1 at Netley Military Hospital on Southampton Water. If that is so then a message I was given by the RAMC Archives at Keogh Barracks Aldershot a few years back stated that no records have survived. Whatever was left was lost in a fire at Netley in the 60s,when that large edifice was very much in the run-down phase. I now drive over some of it's brick- and stone-work on my way into Southampton,as it forms part of the Redbridge Causeway on the west side of the City.

For the really curious it also forms part of the seafront at Milford-on-Sea !

Sotonmate

Thanks Soton.

Steve