Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

change of regiments?

sarah0623

Hi - the person i am researching died in 1916 in the essex regiment. I've been given lots of good information from people on this website. My question is - he was also in the london regiment. How do i find out when he was transferred to the essex. His service papers haven't survived so i don't know how long he would have been in the essex before he died. Any help would be appreciated

Regards

sarah

sarah

So your man is Alfred Thomas VENN.

According to his Medal Index Card he was 1695 in the 2 Londons and 41118 in the Essex. CWGC gives him as 2 Essex. His MIC reads as not entering a war theatre until after 1915 (as he was not entitled to a 1914-1915 Star).His medals were issued by the Essex at the end of the War,but for service in the Londons,as he was with them on first landing in a war zone. He would have been with 169 Brigade of 56 Division which assembled in Feb 1916,though he may not necessarily have been with them from the start,and could have been in any later reinforcement for losses taken. We have no way,as yet,of finding when he changed Regiment,but it is worth considering that he could have been wounded or sick and may have had to leave the Bn to recover,possibly back to the UK,and on return may have been posted to the next needy Battalion for reinforcement. Bear also in mind that if he was withdrawn from the strength then he would have been replaced in order to keep the Battalion up to complement. From July 1916 his Londons were in the thick of the Battles of the Somme,and it would be reasonable to see him withdrawn for the reasons I have given,and then found on return to fitness that he was to report to the 2 Essex,who were with 12 Brigade of 4 Division.

Oh! for a service record,I tried also but found nothing either.

Sotonmate

S

Two links from the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page,here to help you a bit further:

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm for his Regiment,and,

http://www.1914-1918.net/56div.htm for his first landing Division and Somme actions.

Sotonmate