Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

Joseph William Venable is on the Anstey AVL as being 10889 Pte. 2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers.

He landed at Zeebrugge with the 2nd Battalion on the 6th October 1914, would anybody be able to help with a possible enlistment date please?

Best regards. Llew.

Hi,

10886 William Joseph Reeves, RSF, enlisted 30 Aug 1913. So, on or just after this date. Note, he also enlisted in Leicester; occupation listed as Shoehand (Tacker).

Cheers,

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for that, looks like there must have been a recruitment drive in Leicester at the time.

I hope the books still selling well.

Regards. Llew.

Thanks for that, looks like there must have been a recruitment drive in Leicester at the time.

I believe that the Regiment recruited in Leicester. My Great Uncle joined the Royal Scots Fusiliers upon the outbreak of the Great War & he was Leicester born & bred.

Thanks for that.

With me not being of a military back ground in anyway, what would the procedure have been on a regiment recruiting in any County? Were there any boundary limitations at all?

Regtards. Llew.

Hi Llew,

Certainly appears to have been a recruitment drive in and around Leicester at this time. 10890 Charles Smith, 2nd RSF was also from Leicester; he was killed 13 March 1915.

(My book sold well enough for me to do a second print run. I'll probably be left with quite a few, but it was worth getting the extra copies produced, so as to get the men's (and women's) stories out to a wider audience. Thanks for buying a copy. Maybe see you at the WFA at Ruddington some time?)

Cheers,

Stuart

Not a problem at all Stuart, glad to have a copy in my bookcase. I will get to Ruddington at some time, promise:hypocrite: .