Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peter Ingram

Messina1915

I've found Peter Ingram (brother of William & son of Charles in my signature) on the 1911 census, serving with the 2nd Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry in South Africa, but having checked the MICs, the only Peter Ingram who served with the DCLI in the Great War - service number 6865 - didn't receive a star, and therefore didn't serve overseas... and 2/DCLI was in France before the end of 1914. And if that chap isn't the one, I guess he could have been any of the Peter Ingram's who I haven't matched to surviving service pension/papers. Apologies if this sounds a bit rambly - I'm still thinking as I'm typing this.

Basically, the question is this - could the chap on the MIC be my chap, and somehow he's been moved to a different DCLI battalion that didn't serve overseas before the end of 1915, or is Peter going to be another of the men whose service in the war is impossible to pin down because of their service records not surviving?

Cheers,

Carole.

Basically, the question is this - could the chap on the MIC be my chap, and somehow he's been moved to a different DCLI battalion that didn't serve overseas before the end of 1915, or is Peter going to be another of the men whose service in the war is impossible to pin down because of their service records not surviving?

Either option is possible.

Check the reverse of the MIC's for addresses, check for service papers.

There are only 6 Peter Ingram's and 3 P. Ingram's in the MIC's according to my very quick search, only one of which was with the DCLI, and his number looks right for a pre-war regular, so he looks a very good bet. But there are no guarantees that it's him without further research.

I crossed checked the surviving service & pension records against the MICs and I got it down to the DCLI chap and 3 or 4 others - none of the papers are for my chap, and unfortunately there's no addresses on the MICs. Hopefully there might be a DCLI expert around who can say if there's any chance of it being the right man or not.

Hopefully there might be a DCLI expert around who can say if there's any chance of it being the right man or not.

Well, like I said in my previous post, there is a chance. It's a very good chance. His number looks right, so check the medal roll and it will probably tell you that he served with one of the 2 regular battalions. Also try to find other corroborative evidence.