Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Six 5th (?) Battalion Royal Sussex soldiers

tgrubb

Hi

Just bought this postcard on ebay supposedly of 6 lads from the 5th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment. I have family connections to the 5th Royal Sussex, its a great photograph and I'm happy to add it to the collection but I have my doubts as to the sellers identification of them being the 5th Battalion. There is nothing that I can see that links them to the 5th battlaion other than an id scribbled on the back. Can anyone out there confirm this?

Despite my doubts, interestingly, on blowing the photo up the door behind appears to say 'The Moor?' and my family connection is through Moores born in Rye.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Tim

post-8948-051732000 1281038054.jpg

Could the door say "Moorings?" as locally to Eastbourne there are a number of places known as such.

Sorry forgot to say don't wish to offend but chap back right looks like a mannequin

Yes the chap is wearing a Imperial Service Brooch, also the Lance Corporal is wearing a shoulder title, the Sussex wear a half round title but it is to big for that so I would say that they are 5th Battalion. Certainly Territorials.

Thanks John, Joanbelge and Phil

I am glad that it seems they are 5th Battalion - I can see an evening of research strecthing before me tonight.

I hadn't noticed the mannequin but you are right! Maybe I blanked it because a lot of my relatives seem to look a bit like that! The guy with the Imperial Service Brooch certainly looks like he's been abroad with that tan.

Tim

Thanks John, Joanbelge and Phil

I am glad that it seems they are 5th Battalion - I can see an evening of research strecthing before me tonight.

I hadn't noticed the mannequin but you are right! Maybe I blanked it because a lot of my relatives seem to look a bit like that! The guy with the Imperial Service Brooch certainly looks like he's been abroad with that tan.

Tim

That chap is not a mannequin that is just the way he is.

That chap is not a mannequin that is just the way he is.

John

Its ok it was my lazy typing missing out the words 'the man who looks like a'.....

Tim

Don't wish to be overly contentious, but the 5th Battalion had a distinctive cap badge based on, but which was not/nit the standard R Sussex cap badge. At work so no access to images, but it was an all brass badge based on the Rousillion plume with the arms of (?) Rye on the centre.

Don't wish to be overly contentious, but the 5th Battalion had a distinctive cap badge based on, but which was not/nit the standard R Sussex cap badge....... it was an all brass badge based on the Rousillion plume with the arms of (?) Rye on the centre.

You're not being overly contentious; they're definately not wearing 5th Sussex cap-badges.

They're certainly Territorials (I can see an 'Imperial Service' badge at the front and what certainly looks like a TF shoulder title in the middle row), so they're from either 4th or 6th battalions. I'm pretty sure that 7th Bn wasn't TF, though someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Staffsyeoman's description is correct; the defining feature in a photo like this is the fact that the 5th Sussex badge is in the shape of a Maltese cross, rather than a star. Both have scrolls underneath and plumes at the top.