Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Arthur George Richard WHITWORTH

GrahamC

Hi pals - some advice needed if poss (AGAIN).

Following my very successful post yesterday re: Lt Innes (see below) I am now researching this Officer who is on my local Memorial (Buxton, Derbyshire). It seems he grew up in Suffolk and went to school there before going to Downing College, Cambridge, where he was in residence for 4 terms (strange!) Then went into munitions production, before joining the Northumberland Fusiliers - entering France in 1917. (All from a lenghty obit in our local paper.)

He died of wounds, aged only 20, on 30 March 1918. As yet I can find no link to Buxton - do any of my erstwhile pals out there know anything about Arthur that can help me make the link. It's no doubt something obvious but if so I can't find it!

Many thanks in anticipation

Graham

The 1911 census has Selina in Chesterton, Cambs - but I can't find Julius. In 1901 they were in Worlington, Suffolk. Julius was a "grocer-shopkeeper employer" born in Lincoln. Selina was from Gloucester. They seemed to have moved about quite a lot.

On the 1891 census, Julius is head of the household with a slightly younger William Whitworth assisting him as a grocer's assistant. William was born in Derby while the teenage Catherine was born in Soham. On the 1891 Julius is boarding away from home as an apprentice grocer and the only William with a sister Catherine I can find comes from a family all born in Derbyshire, so hopefully that's part of the link

Selina's maiden name was Rice and her family originated from Gloucester.

"A. G. R. Whitworth was born at Fordham, Cambridgeshire to Julius Harry and Selina Elton Whitworth, of Buxton, later of 'Strathray', Birling Road, Tunbridge Wells"

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=uk

:blush: Like at said - staring me in the face - many thanks, guys.

Any info on what his regiment was engaged in when he died would be useful

Graham

Having looked some more it seems that Julius and Selina were married in the September quarter 1894, in Gloucester, where Census returns indicate Selina was born. Julius originated from Lincoln, but the report of Arthur’s death in the Buxton Advertiser clearly indicates that they were from Buxton. Whether or not they moved there after the War I can't find out, but by the time of the CWGC entry they were living at "Strathray," Birling Road, Tunbridge Wells.

Edited by GrahamC