Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th RF April 1917

l.burr1@ntlworld.com

Does anyone know the location of the "Sugar Factory" which is mentioned a couple of times in the "History of the Second Division" as a site of an action in April 1917. According to the book it was on the road between Willertal and Bailleul Sir Berthoult. I have googled the area and there is an industrial site near the junction of Rue Bailleul and the D919. Is this the place? I am interested because my father mentions a factory in one of his war letters. Any info gratefully received. Also is there anyway of getting hold of a acopy of the war diary for the 24th RF?

Les Burr

Hi Les - extract from German map attached showing the Sugar Factory marked. I have put a red box around it. Looks like it was on the bit of derelict ground south of the road junction and current industrial site.

I'll take a look to see if I have the war diary and will let you know.

Cheers

Jeremy

Just had a look and don't have war diary I'm afraid.

post-16428-039377300 1281021417.jpg

Edited by J Banning

Les

War Diary not yet digital so need to get the bits you need from the NA,or from someone here who either has a copy or is visiting. Ref is WO95/1349.

Sotonmate

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you very much for the information. I'm going to France again next year so I will have a closer look. I've also had a reply from Andy Pugh who is going to send me a CD of the War Diary which wilkl be great.

Thanks Again

Les Burr

Dear Sotonmate,

Thanks for the e-mail.Andy Pugh has kindly offered a Cd of the War Diary everything is looking good. Do you think the NA has a copy of the diary is so how would i find out. I don't want to go there if it's not available.

Best Wishes Les Burr

It is available at Kew for viewing.

The reference number is WO 95/1349

http://www.nationala...&accessmethod=0

when going take a digital camera with you and copy the relevant pages. Go early and book a table with a camera stand. If you haven't been before you will need to apply for a readers ticket. Check the website of NA for what ID you need to bring to get one.