Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lancashire Fusiliers at Gallipoli

Kai Mahoney

Hi Mates, please can someone help me with my Gallipoli collection files re. Lancashire Fusiliers, very much distinguished themselves at Gallipoli 25/04/1915, however the 1/5th Battalion of their Territorial Force also landed at Gallipoli 15/05/1915 and I would like to ask the probably stupid question of wether or not they wore different badges, did they wear Territorial shoulder titles, or did all the boys have the same insignia?

Always been told the only stupid question is the ones that don't get asked, but I am always put off in case I'm asking dumb questions and annoying people <_< , finding it very difficult to get to grips with badges of the different eras, but I will plod along. :blink:

Cheers

Kai

If they were wearing their standard issue caps both Battalions would have worn the standard bi-metal cap badge with the main insignia difference being the shoulder title.

The shoulder title for the 1st Battalion would have been

Fused Grenade

LF

whereas the 1/5th Battalion would have worn

T

Fused Grenade

LF

Most troops going to Gallipoli would have been issued with Wolseley pattern helmets and they wore a red flash bearing the white stitched version of the shoulder title on the pugree

These helmets wear quite unpopular and would have been lost at the earliest oppertunity. As the Gallipoli Campaign progressed most of the uniforms worn were heavily adapted.

If you look up the Lancashire Fusiliers in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Fusiliers there is a nice photograph of a boat full of Lancashire Fusiliers about to land at Gallipoli in May 1915 and if you look closely on there helmets you can see the flash on the pugri s which appear to be a one of the Territorial Battalions. They look really smart - it would be interesting to see a photograph of the survivors when they finally left Gallipoli.

Hope this of help.

Regards

Sepoy

Sepoy that is more than helpful and I am really greateful for the help, info and link, thank you very much.

I see the insignia on the helmet, boy would I love to have one of those :wub:

I can't make out any shoulder titles though.

Thank you again

Kai

post-26461-054691000 1281058286.jpg