Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for the IFTCP

squirrel

Any assistance appreciated on what to do next........

There is an Officer buried in a London Cemetery - died in UK, possibly never served overseas - Lt and Quartemaster W Barnes 2/18th County of London battalion the London Irish Rifles.

CWGC have his date of death as 30/6/1915 and his initial as W.

The cemetery register has his date of death as 30/3/1915, his burial as 4/4/1916 and his first name as Walter.

What remains of his private memorial gives his first name as Walter and date of death as 30/3/1916. ODGW gives his date of death as 30/3/1916.

I have contacted CWGC and they state that the information they have was provided by the Army and that they are willing to change their entry provided I can apparently provide his service record, birth, marriage, and death certificates.

Do I need all of these or will they accept a copy of the death certificate provided the information tallies with the cemetery records?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Don't know, but happy to add his service record to my list on my next visit to Kew (early September) if you can't get it before then. I've seen a couple of officers' records which contain the birth certificate so it may be possible to tick both those off the list at the same time.

Thank you very much - that would be a great help and much appreciated. In the meantime I'll see if I can find a death certificate.

Squirrel

With CWGC, the death certificate is always the "gold standard" evidence and, certainly, with regard to a date of death error. Always assuming that the death certificate suitably identifies him as the soldier. If not, then you will need more (like his service record).

John

Thanks John - I have just ordered a Death Certificate with the March d.o.d. so shall see what turns up.

Also a typo which I have corrected in my first post - date of death amended to 30/13/1915 not 1916.