Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Frederick John Humphries 23103

Terry9

I have found my great uncle Fred on the CWGC. It says that he was killed on the 22nd October 1917. and is buried at Brown's Road Military Cemetery, Festubert

He was Pte. Frederick John Humphries 23103, 3rd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment.

The information tells me all about the cemetery ie. How many are buried there and which regiments were stationed there. It says that some of the casualties were brought in from smaller cemeteries near by.

Nowhere in this well set out information page does it mention 3rd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment, does that mean that the Worcester Reg wasn't there and his body was brought in from elsewhere or is it that they just haven't mentioned all the Regiments that where there at the time?

I don't have a copy of his medal card, would it say on there where he was fighting?

I don't think I've seen any MICs that give the place of death. Some don't even note the fact that the soldier was killed.

It may be worth looking to see if you can locate any service records for him but you may be aware that huge damage was done during WW2 and about 30% survived. Alternatively a regimental expert may be able to help or possibly someone has the war diary.