Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ben Townsend 16th Manchesters

spuddie

I`m looking for any information on my great uncle Ben Townsend of the 16th Batt. Manchester Regt. He died of wounds on the 2nd July 1916 after the sucessful attack on Montauban, and is buried in Dive copse cemetery.

If anyone has any further info I would be very grateful.

His Medal Index Card (the MIC) is available online at the National Archives for £2.00: http://www.nationala...Edoc_Id=5811323

I can't see another one (occasionally happens that there's more than one) so I note that he was entitled to the British and Victory Medals. The lack of a 1914/15 Star indicates that he didn't serve abroad before early January 1916.

I can't immediately see any promising service records for him but I'm sure there are some Manchester experts around and someone may have the war diary. If not, it may be worth posting on the look-up section as some of us go to the Kew archives from time to time.

[Edited to add - you're in luck: there's a series of service records for him online.

Name:Benjamin Townsend

Estimated birth year:abt 1895

Age at Enlistment:20

Residence:35 Sandown Rd, Cheadle Heath Stockport

Document Year:1915

Regimental Number:7840

Regiment Name:(S) Bn Manchester Regt

CWGC gives his number as 27140 and the 7840 number is crossed out and the new number added. If you don't have Ancestry membership, it will be worth finding a large enough local library where they have free access. They will also be at the National Archives.

I can't find an MIC under 7840 so presumably he didn't go abroad at that point.]

Forum rules prohibit me from posting any images, but I can give you some brief information.

He enlisted in mid-June 1915, so I imagine his basic training would explain why he wasn't sent abroad immediately. He was just over 20. I think it says he was a farmer. He gives his father's name as William (your great-grandfather?) and mother Sarah Ann and an address in Derbyshire. Three brothers (2 in the Army) and one sister.

He went to France on 10 March 1916. Wounded in action (stamp) 1.7.16 (recorded 6.7.16) [illegible] [GSW] abdomen. He died of his wounds the next day (seems to be recorded 8.7.16).

There's a note "Cas List C905". Someone might know what that means.

William may have died before Ben's effects were returned in late October 1916, as there's a note that they're to go to Sarah although elsewhere William is given as NOK.

pte 7840 benjamin townsend

enlisted 14-6-15

aged 20

occupation,farmer

religion,weslyan

resided 35 sandown rd,cheadle heath

parents william+sarah,ann,great hucklow,tidswell,buxton,derbys

posted to the 25th res battalion on 30-8-15[renumbered 27140]

sailed from folkestone on 10-3-16 on the SS overland,arrived at etaples the following day

posted to the 16th battalion in the field on 24-4-16

wounded in the abdomen by shrapnel at montauban on 1st july 1916,died the following day at the 96th field ambulance

mack