Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Frederick Arthur Innes. MC

GrahamC

Hi pals - some advice needed if poss.

I am researching this Officer who is on my local Memorial (Buxton, Derbyshire). It seems he grew up in Derby, son of an estate agent. (The famly still have the business 'Frank Innes' I think!) The link to Buxton seems to be through his brother, Edward Sydney.

Anyway -- his MIC shows him initially as a Private with Royal Fusiliers and then entering France on 20 September 1915. He was subsequently killed in action on 3 September 1916, whilst serving as a 2/Lt. with 4/West Riding Regt., which the MIC shows as a TF. This seems rather a fast promotion even in those difficult times.

The LG (13 April 1915) confirms his appointment as 2/Lt w.e.f. 26th March and the LG 18 Nov 1915 gives his MC citation dated 16 October 1915, for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on the Yser Canal. The 1/4 West Ridings entered France on 14 April 1915, via Boulogne.

I am assuming he originally joined the R.F. then at some time before embarkation was given a commission the the West Ridings (13 April 1915), entered France with that Battalion on 20 Sept., received his MC 2 months later, and was k.i.a. the following September.

His Service Papers seem to have gone the way of many others - so if any pals out there have any other ideas to enlighten me I would be greatly pleased and endebted.

Cheers

Graham

Graham

His OR service papers would have migrated to the Officer series,which is largely alive and well and living at Kew ! There is one file for an INNES F in WO339/107696,not saying that it's him,but it should be. There are no files in the series WO374 (also an Officer record)for this name.

Sotonmate

Hi Graham,

I have just seen your post re 2/Lt F.A.Innes.

From the 4th Bn History: appendix II : Innes, F.A., Sec.Lt. Joined, 25/9/15, wounded near Ypres, 16/10/15. Rejoined 23/10/15. Attached to 147th Inf. Bde.H.Q., 9/8/16. Killed in Action at Thiepval Wood, 3/9/16.

Pages 43/44: 16th October, 1915: "About 6pm the enemy apparently saw that success was impossible, and gradually the shelling died down. The Battalion was then able to review the situation and to count its casualties. -------Lieut E.N.Marshall, Sec.Lt.F.A.Innes and twenty-two other ranks wounded.

----For their gallant services on this occasion Sec.Lt.F.A.Innes--it was his first trench tour as he had only recently joined the Battalion--received the Military Cross, and ---."

Sadly there is no portrait of him in the History although many other officers do, including those who were killed or were awarded decorations. I shall check elsewhere for one. He doesn't appear to get any sort of mention for when he was killed as he must have been attached elsewhere(H.Q., 147th Bde)?

I hope that this helps, Robert

Hi Graham,

I have just checked and there is a photo of him in the Sphere, volume LXVII, page 151. He also has a lengthy biography(no portrait) in the Roll of Honour(Ruvigny), this mentions that he was also MID, L.G.1/1/16.

If you require any further information or help with the photo, please ask.

Best wishes, Robert

Hi Graham(again),

Reading through the biography in Ruvigny, it states: "---joined one of his brothers in establishing the firm of Innes and Innes, Estate Agents and Auctioneers, Buxton. ----went to France 19 Sept. following, being appointed Battalion Bombing Officer. -----On returning to duty, he was appointed Brigade Bombing Officer, and while acting in that capacity was killed in action by shell fire at Thiepval, on the Somme battlefront, 3 Sept. 1916."

I think that this answers one or two questions.?

Robert

Hi Sotonmate and Old Owl

Many thanks for the posts and the extra info. I have been PM'd by another pal (big public thank-you) who has let me have a copy of the de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour Page entry and like you say, Robert, finally cracks why he's on our Memorial.

I certainly would welcome a copy of his photo from The Sphere if at all possible - can you scan it for me, please? Either post it here or I can PM you if that easier.

Yet again - what a great Forum this - I really appreciate all your help

Graham

post-37838-003044400 1281008984.jpg

Hi Graham,

please find a link to the photo of the family gravestone of Frederick Arthur Innes which mentions him at the bottom. It's in a very poor condition and is situated in the graveyard of St Peter's, Littleover, Derby. He's not mentioned on the memorial at Littleover. Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Rich

1q69mp.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/1q69mp/4

Many thanks Rich - everything helps !!

Graham

Hi Graham,

If you PM me with your email address, then I'll send you a copy as soon as I can. It may be early next week as I need to photograph the image and will have to get the volume out in order to do that, over the weekend.

Please bear with me. I think that you will be pleased with the image.

Best wishes, Robert

PS I have had a look for A.G.R.Whitworth, but as yet have not come up with anything. Which school was he at?

Hi Graham,

If you PM me with your email address, then I'll send you a copy as soon as I can. It may be early next week as I need to photograph the image and will have to get the volume out in order to do that, over the weekend.

Please bear with me. I think that you will be pleased with the image.

Best wishes, Robert

PS I have had a look for A.G.R.Whitworth, but as yet have not come up with anything. Which school was he at?

Thanks, Robert, PM sent

Graham