Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Edgar Hoskins, Suffolk Regiment

eparges

Hi,

I recently acquired another christmas box, which contains some of its content, but also some pieces of paper to its 'former' owner. I've got his MIC, but would like to find out in which battalion he served and perhaps more...What I know:

* Pte Edgar Hoskins, nr 6705

* Suffolk Regiment, 'on SWB-list K/74/1'

* Date of entry 15.8.1914

* possible POW (corner envelope to his name and 'Riant Chalet-Chateau d'Oex' (in Switzerland) - 29.12.1916

* 14 star, Victory Medal + Clasp + Roses

* Discharged 16.12.1917

Thanx!

xbox110.jpg

xbox210.jpg

The 2nd Suffolks arrived in France on 15 August 1914. A lot of them (including my great-uncle) were captured at Le Cateau on 26 August 1914, as they formed the rearguard (along with the KOYLI) to II Corps, that allowed the Infantry and guns (the tiny British figures in the background of the VC action of "the saving the guns at Le Cateau" pictures are the Suffolks making their last stand) of the corps to escape.

However, I'm not sure as to whether a POW from August 1914 would have received a Princess Mary tin at Christmas 1914 ?

Steve.

Thanx for your reply. If I interpret his MIC correctly, date of entry is 15 (!!).8.14, so I'd guess he wasn't with first men send over?

The 15th August 1914 was the date when the 2nd Suffolks landed as a full Battalion in France along with the other original battalions of the British Expeditionary Force. They went across on two ships half-a-battalion to each.

Steve.