Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain George Norman Berney 1 st Herefords

RMR

Hi all, can anyone help with any information regarding this officer of the Herefords for the period between june and november 1917.During this period he was M.I.D. I am trying to find out what for, I have his service record but all it mentions is the LG entry for his MID 12 january 1918.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks Roger

Hi, During the dates you requested, his name is mentioned in the Herefordshire Regiment war Diary on six occasions. TNA ref WO95/4626.

17-05-1917 "Lt. G.N. Berney appointed Bn. grenade Officer".

15-06-1917 "Lt. Berney proceded on leave of absence".

23-08-1917 (Appendix) mentioned as "re-inforcement".

01-11-1917 "commanding B Coy".

06-11-1917 One of six Officers killed, during the battle (Khuweilfeh)

13-02-1918 "The following Officers and O.R's "mentioned" in Sir A Murrays despatch published as supp. to London Gazette 14th Jan 1918:- Capt G N Berner (sic).deceased.

There is no mention as to the deed for which he was mentioned.

He is Mentioned in "Manu Forti" by Lt Col T.J.B. Hill, on page 66, refering to the 6th Nov 1917:-

"It was here that Capt. G.N.Berney, with a Company of Herefords, found nine Turkish guns limbered up in a ravine ready to move back, as well as the transport of a machine gun company. He at once charged, bayonetted the personnel, captured the guns and decimated the transport".

Thanks very much for your reply suvla-bay,the last section from "Manu Forti" by Lt Col T.J.B. Hill, would probably account for his MID as he was killed later that same day,could you tell me if theirs a photograph of him in "Manu Forti"? Regards Roger

Mate,

I believe he was killed during the attack on Tel Khuweilfe (just north of Beersheba) when the 158th Bde (53rd Div) which attacked at night over rough ground, during which the Infantry lost there way and a heavy fight started in the morning and over the next few days with the Turkish 19th Div.

The 3rd Anzac Bn ICC (Camel Corps) was involved inthis fight and details can be found inthe Aust Offical History (pages 423-424) and map 18.

A relation of the Commander of the 3Bn ICC (LtCol De Lancey-Forth) wrote a bit on this action in his book "A Fighting Colonel of the Camel Corps" by Nevill De Rouen Forth

Cheers

S.B

Hi,many thanks Suvla-bay that photograph made my day,I have ordered the war diaries for the Herefords 1916-1918 and a copy of Manu Forti so all in all my research is near completion as I had the war diaries for 1915 Gallipoli campaign and his service record,MIC, and LG mentions.Thanks also to Steve for pointing me to that action, he was killed there, apparently they got lost and walked up open ground toward the Turkish lines no knowing their exact position,the Camel Corp were sheltering from the machine guns and saw it happen.All the Herefords officers there were killed and the O.R.s broke but a Camel Corp officer rallied them.Many thanks to all Roger

Hi,many thanks Suvla-bay that photograph made my day,I have ordered the war diaries for the Herefords 1916-1918 and a copy of Manu Forti so all in all my research is near completion as I had the war diaries for 1915 Gallipoli campaign and his service record,MIC, and LG mentions.Thanks also to Steve for pointing me to that action, he was killed there, apparently they got lost and walked up open ground toward the Turkish lines no knowing their exact position,the Camel Corp were sheltering from the machine guns and saw it happen.All the Herefords officers there were killed and the O.R.s broke but a Camel Corp officer rallied them.Many thanks to all Roger

I have also found an obituary from 1917:-

post-16264-036012600 1281089068.jpg

I have also found an obituary from 1917:-

post-16264-036012600 1281089068.jpg

Once again many thanks Suvla-bay I have been searching out information on this officer since February and in a single day you have provided 3 key pieces.Regards Roger

Hello RMR,

what do you intend to do with the information on Capt Berney? Is it for a project, or are you chasing it for family reasons?

Hello again,

I noted that he is intered in the Beersheeba CWWG Cemetary. I'm likely to be traveling close to there in the next few weeks and would be happy to get a photo of the grave if that is of any use to you.

Hello again,

I noted that he is intered in the Beersheeba CWWG Cemetary. I'm likely to be traveling close to there in the next few weeks and would be happy to get a photo of the grave if that is of any use to you.

Hi that would be great if you could do so and would be much appreciated.Regards Roger

• 2 weeks later...

P8160709.jpg

The grave

P8160707.jpg

The cemetary. It was close to 43 degrees in there today!

P8160709.jpg

The grave

P8160707.jpg

The cemetary. It was close to 43 degrees in there today!

Hi Capt Dave excellent photo's thanks very much.Regards Roger