Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17550 ernest Cudmore

david west

I recently purchased a copy of the "Heavitree Roll of Honour" from the the Heavitree Local History Society. I bought it to find out a little bit more about a young man from the RAMC who was killed on 1st July 1916. While looking through the pamphlet i noticed the service number 17550 belonging to Ernest Cudmore from the 13th Btn MGC (he was killed on 8th Oct 1917). The amazing thing is that i am also researching my late Grandfather Ernest Albert West, service number 17551, 23rd MG Coy later 8th Btn MGC. This just struck me as, well.. amazing.

nice coincidence.

SDGW has Cudmore as formerly Coldstream Guards (no 8181). His medal card has him in the 2nd Devonshires (no 8836) before MGC.

He was awarded the 14 Star, BWM and VM. Arrived France 5/11/1914.

Ernest West appears to have 2 medals cards. One puts him in the 2nd Devonshires (no 9067) and then MGC as 17551. Also 1914 Star, BWM and VM arriving in France the day after Cudmore on 6th Nov 1914. There's a note re WO2. Other medal card has him as 8th MGC Co (late 23rd MGC). DCM in LG 3/6/1918.

Presumably both transferred from the 2nd Devons to the MGC at the same time as others are in the same number sequence.

17549 William Kerswill, Devons => MGC

17552 Charles J Wills 2/Devons => MGC

17553 Arthur R Carne 2/Devons => MGC

there appear to be 4 Heavitree casualties in the MGC.

Your man was lucky Wills 17552 was also killed

Name: WILLS, CHARLES JEFFERY

Initials: C J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 23rd Coy.

Secondary Regiment: Devonshire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: formerly 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 23/10/1916

Service No: 17552

Additional information: Son of William Jeffery and Elizabeth Jane Wills, of 2, Polhearn, Higher Brixham, Devon.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Hi Guys, thanks very much for your input. Ernest Albert West transferred back to the Devonshire regt on the 2nd Aug 1921 after the MGC was disbanded. He stayed with the Devons until he retired on 28th Feb 1931 as CSM at the Depot at Exeter. For several years he was stationed at Pendennis Castle, Falmouth as an Instructor/Recruiting staff. The poor man died back in the early 50`s due to the damaged caused by a gas attack on the Aisne in 1918. History is fascinating, and i and my late father were/are very proud of him.

Regards, Dave

You don't have any more info on Kerswill do you?

My grandmother's maiden name was Kerswill and a sister of hers had two sons both of whom died in the war. They would both have probably joined up at Crediton (although this isn't certain, but they probably lived near there).

My father, at 94 has suddenly taken an interest in this, and expects me to find them even though he doesn't know their names (they might not even be Kerswill)and only 'thinks' the regiment is probably the Devons (as they lived in deepest Devon).