Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Cap Badge collection

djcrtoye

Hi I've just started my collection. I'm mainly interested in Connaught Rangers, Scots Guards, Seaforth Highlanders and Labour Corp. What would the average price be for the above badges. I've seen prices from a few pounds to £30 for the Connaught Rangers.

Thanks.

Dominic.

That would depend on a number of things: rarity, specific variation (if there were variations), original or reproduction, etc.

A good place to start learning about badges, and the risks and costs of collecting, is the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum - http://www.britishba...orums/index.php

For genuine examples about £25, £6, £8 and £4 repsectively. There are loads of fakes and copies especially on on-line auction sites.

Thank you for your information.

One would feel that at those prices it would hardly be worthwhile to make fakes of cap badges. Medals yes as at times they are quite expensive but at 2, 4, 6 pounds (except the 25 quid one) why would you bother.

It would be quite a small collection if only collectiing to WW1 Connaught Rangers, Scots Guards, Seaforth Highlanders and Labour Corps, and a very very expensive one if collecting the Connaughts and Seaforths pre WW1. Best thing to do is join one of the badge forums and if your first purchase is looking at being 30 quid plus, use that money to buy a decent book on the subject before even thinking about spending serious money.

Mick

Another thing, ask around relatives and friends to see if they have any badges hiding in a draw, you never know.

Hello David. As 'Max' says, there are loads of copy/fake badges around, and those churning them out are doing so for the money. It would be very hard to state about any badge, even the most common, that it has not been faked. If a new buyer looks at at two badges that seem to look the same, one at a £2.50 and one at £6, there is a good chance the £2.50 will be picked. This even happens when a new buyer has been told the approx. value of a good badge. Everyone is in search of a bargain. Regards, Paul.

The prices that i have given are based on honest dealers prices for the genuine article. The irony is that they are the same price (or less) than the fakers ask. Unfortunately due to the glut of modern copies the prices of genuine examples are lowered as no one has any faith in them. The exception is the Connaughts where the scarcity of the original item has retained a good price despite the many fakes about.

Prices might be based on honest dealers but you need a honest and knowledgeable dealer, far fewer of those about. And the Connaught Ranger badge is impossible to judge whether it was made in 1916, 1966 or 2006 no matter what the 'experts' tell you, especially about such things as maker stamped on slider.