Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pioneer Corps Badge?

Royal

It appears to be a mess dress button, but to whom I really couldn't say. The Labour Corps disappeard at the end of the Great War and the Pioneer Corps didn't appear until the beginning of WWII, and became Royal Pioneer Corps post 1945. Mess dress would have appeared sometime after that for the Corps, but I don't think it's RPC, so wonder if it's one of the Indian Sappers & Miners units???

I say its more like a Firemans button. (two crossed fire axes )?

My thought also.

I would agree that it is probably a firemans button, you can see an example of an Infantry Pioneer battalion collar tagon my website.

John

Possibly could be a fire servie button, but I always understood them to be one piece buttons, unlike this which you would see on mess dress.

RPC buttons seem to have displayed the same pattern as the cap badge

The axe isn't the same shape as a fiemans axe nor is it the shape usually found on fire service buttons.

It is the mess dress button of the Indian Army 107th pioneers 1903 - 1922 or 3rd Sikh Pioneers. 1st Bn. 1922 - 1947.

Had a look at some of the other Indian Army buttons but these 2 are the only ones I can find that don't have a title included, I think Madras does.

Cheers Auchonvillerssomme - suspected as much, but don't have a lot on Indian units.

Graham - get hold of the series 'Buttons of the Indian Army' by Lt-Col N.W. Poulsom, they are useful because thay also give the lineage of the Regiments before 1947.

Mick