Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th Royal Fusiliers

l.burr1@ntlworld.com

I have been researching my father's WW1 history. His regimental number was 2273 and served from 1914-1919.While on service he wrote letters back to friend and I have these and have been trying to match the accounts in his letters to actions by the 24th RF. I recently went to northern France with the intention of tracing an action on the 1st October 1918 which involved taking a german position held on high ground outside Cambrai. The ground contained a quarry where the germans had dug outs and stables. From local enquiries I think this action was at Mont sur L'oeuvre which is is a short distance North of Rumilly. I walked up the hill from the south and there is a a wooded area which looks like a small quarry. This is marked "No Entry" and it looks as if it has been occupied by gypsies. Does anyone know if I was at the right spot?

Thanks in advance

Les Burr

My Grandfather was in the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, although he had just been transferred to the Labour Corps prior to this battle in late September 1918.

I have extracted the relevant day from the War Diary. Map of battle following from "The History of the 2nd Division" by Everard Wyrall.

I would be very interested to see the letters you have, especially if they included anything about the 29th April 1917 Battle of Oppy Wood. My Grandfather was gassed then.

Mont Sur Loeuvre 1st Oct 1918.rtf

Sorry, the attachment looks very small. If you want a decent sized map I will email it to you. Please PM me if you want it.

Not my day, the original answer should have had a text file with it which I now added to this reply.

Good job I'm going on holiday tomorrow.........Mont Sur Loeuvre 1st Oct 1918.rtf