Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Dorsets

SULLYV

My great uncle was private James Gallivan (9659).On studying his Casualty Form Active Service(B103)I noted that on 2nd may 1915 he was admitted to a field hospital suffering from the effects of gas then transferred to,I think,Havle on 4th and then discharged from there on 10th May 1915.Does anyone know in what circumstances he would have suffered this gas attack? and would this have been mustard gas?

• Admin

This is probably Hill 60 when the Dorsets were gassed on 1st /2nd May. I think it was Chlorine gas. Again more in Shephards book!

Michelle

Sullyv

On the 1st May 1915 the 1st Battalion were holding the front line at Hill 60 North of Ypres, at approxamately 19:15 hrs the Germans opened up a heavy artillery bombardment on the Hill itself and the trenches either side and the railway cutting at the rear.

This was followed shortly after by thick clouds of white and yellow clouds of gas shot out of nozzles opposite trenches 38,40, 43, 45 & 46, the concentration being so strong to take immediate effect.

One officer and fifty two O/R were killed.

Seven officers and two hundred O/R were admitted to hospital suffering gas poisioning (many to die later in hospital)

Thirty two O/R were missing.

Above taken from " The History of the Dorset Regimet 1914-1919 " which I have edited a great deal to give you the basic information.

It does not describe what type gas was used, I believe as this was only a few days after the first German Gas attack in which they used Chlorine gas it was most like also to have been Chlorine - Mustard gas was introduced much later in the war.

Hope this assists

Malcolm