Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George WRIGHT

Tuppy

I am tring to find if my Great Uncle, George E. WRIGHT is commemorated on any War Memorial In England.

He was born in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire and his Parents lived in Stroud, Gloucestershire.

I have tried Minchinhampton and Stroud War Memorials, unfortunately with no luck.

Just before the War he married a Liverpool girl and therefore would have lived in Liverpool.

I can remember her talking about Litherland and I believe they were married in the West Derby area ( if that helps on location ).

George was a Sergeant in the 12th., Bn., Rifle Brigade and was killed in June 1916 at Ypres and has a Memorial reference at the Potijze Burial Ground Cemetery.

I am interested in - where he served in the War and any circumstances surrounding his death ( particular Battles etc.,) and also if his name is on a War Memorial.

Many thanks,

Tuppy.

Name: WRIGHT

Initials: G E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/06/1916

Service No: S/3589

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 18.

Cemetery: POTIJZE BURIAL GROUND CEMETERY

Very strange, I found the CWGC entry but no MIC or entry in SDGW and no service record seems to have survived. Perhaps someone else has more luck.

Found it. Ancestry has his number as S3589 instead of S/3589.

The card shows he was entitled to the usual 3 medals with a qualifying date of 21/7/1915 but nothing else.

A further search in Ancestry using the number S3589 shows that his service record HAS survived. Please send me a PM

As to the original question, there is no central registry of who is recorded on which memorial in England or Wales, we have something building in Scotland but that doesn't help here. Many memorials are listed on the Roll of Honour website so that is worth checking out.

\Spoons

Please send me a PM

\Spoons

Tuppy cannot yet use the PM system (5 or possibly 10 posts minimum required)

However, you can send a contact message to his/her email (via the Forum) by clicking on the name and then bottom left of the profile.

Hywyn

thanks for the guidance, email sent

\Spoons

• Admin

I am tring to find if my Great Uncle, George E. WRIGHT is commemorated on any War Memorial In England.

George was a Sergeant in the 12th., Bn., Rifle Brigade and was killed in June 1916 at Ypres and has a Memorial reference at the Potijze Burial Ground Cemetery.

I am interested in - where he served in the War and any circumstances surrounding his death ( particular Battles etc.,) and also if his name is on a War Memorial.

Many thanks,

Tuppy.

Assume you have followed the link at the top of the page, which will give an insight to the circumstances of his death, and some of the terms used here. The 12th Bn was part of 20th (Light) Division

See especially http://www.1914-1918.net/bat14.htm Battle of Mount Sorrel

Soldiers Died in Great War (SDGW) gives his date of death as the 8th June (same as his Service Record) and shows he lived and enlisted in Seaforth. He was killed in action although the cemetery where he is buried was associated with an advanced dressing station. In my personal opinion I think the 6th is more likely as it was the day of a major German attack at Hooge but suffice to say there was heavy fighting around both dates, and no doubt much confusion. You could search the forum or TNA for the war diary.

The UK National Inventory of War Memorials lists 3 memorials for Seaforth http://www.ukniwm.org.uk The UKNIWM does not list names but there amy be a clue if you know his religion.

The Liverpool Roll of Honour is on line, unfortunately he's not there either - but you can look!

http://www.civichall...rance/index.asp

As for his service record you may need to put it in some context first by reading the Long Long Trail, you can access Ancestry for free on their 14 day trial or use the library edition at your local library.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Serjeant Wright was killed by a 4.2" air crump shell at 11am by Potijze Wood when the 12th records "At 11am Potijze Wood and Batt HQ shelled with 4.2" air crumps, 1 man (Sgt. Wright) killed 5 wounded.

Andy

post-1871-076506000 1283040761.jpg

Headstone.

You can see the confusion, diary records the 8th, casualty report and CWGC record the 6th

post-1871-062380200 1283041344.jpg