Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed with WW1 dog tags

piespies

Evening chaps/esses

just moved into a new house and discovered an envelope up in the loft containing some WW1 dog tags. Envelope's pretty faded, but a rubberstamp in the corner proclaims it to be from the Infantry Record Office London, and it's dated 31 May 1921. What is confusing me is that the tags are stamped RAF , yet they have come from the Infantry Record office - was there an Infantry Regiment with that TLA or did the Infantry Record Office handle everyone? The service number is six figures and begins with the letter I, if that helps?

For completeness sake - and in case anyone can help with tracing the serviceman involved, as this is a fascinating find (confused further by finding an RA capbadge up there too!) - below are the full details:

Service number: I462834

Name: Murthwaite R

Religion: CE

Service: RAF

The envelope is addressed to a Mr R Greenwood, 26 St Andrews Road, Hanwell and dated 31st May 1921.

If anyone can shed any light whatsoever would be much appreciated!

P2

Hi there,

gosh lucky you! I found fluff and a Rolf Harris stylophone in my attic! (honestly!)

What are the tags like? Metal or red and green almost like cardboard? I'm wondering if the tags don't belong to the envelope? Are you sure it's a Letter 'L' at the start? More likely to be an '1'

K

Hi there,

gosh lucky you! I found fluff and a Rolf Harris stylophone in my attic! (honestly!)

What are the tags like? Metal or red and green almost like cardboard? I'm wondering if the tags don't belong to the envelope? Are you sure it's a Letter 'L' at the start? More likely to be an '1'

K

Hi Kitty

well there is fluff up there too, but no stylophone! The tags are very faded red and green fibre/cardboard. It appears to be a letter I (as in India) at the beginning, not a 1 or an L...

The number block you reference is 460001 to 465000 Dec 1941 WAAF No 1 and 2 Dep

If the prefix is letter, the letter is meaningless, it was an admin tool. if the letter is a number one and the number is I462834 then we would be looking at wasn't allocated. So I suggest R Murthwaite was or is a woman.

But this is still confusing - I wasn't aware that the RAF put RAF on thier dog tags in the 1940's so don't take my word for it - it probably needs further checking.

CGM, as a matter of interest for me what is her service number?

I think they're unrelated, the WAAF Service number looks to be a WW2 wartime one, not all tags were marked 'RAF' or WAAF but I have some examples of both.

Difficult really, how old is your house? Have you looked on the 1911 census for your address?