Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Ronald Hermann ACKERLEY

Maricourt

Dear Forum Friends

Could any Forum member supply me with some more biographical details/photograph of Lt Ronald Hermann Ackerely, 1/RWF who was killed during the battle of Festubert on 16th May, 1916, aged 23 and is buried at Pont du Hem Military Cemetery.

He was born in Llandrindod Wells and educated at Eton and enlisted, via OTC - August 1914.

He will be commemorated on the Eton War Memorial.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks ... Maricourt

Sorry folks for the typing error - the date of his death should read 1915

Maricourt

Maricourt

This is from The Times of May 25, 1915:

Lieutenant Ronald Hermann Ackerley who was killed on the night of May 16 to 17, was the eldest son of Dr R Ackerley, of Llandrindod Wells (formerly of Surbiton), and was born in February 1892. He was educated at Eton and at Oxford, where he was a Post-Master of Merton College. At Oxford he was a member of the O.T.C. and volunteered for sewrvice when was was imminent. He was gazetted to the 3rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers early in August last as second lieutenant and went to the front on February 1, being attached to the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

He was actually born in Ashburton, Devon and according to the 1901 and 1911 Census was referred to as Hermmann Ackerley.

Aled

Maricourt

This is from The Times of May 25, 1915:

Lieutenant Ronald Hermann Ackerley who was killed on the night of May 16 to 17, was the eldest son of Dr R Ackerley, of Llandrindod Wells (formerly of Surbiton), and was born in February 1892. He was educated at Eton and at Oxford, where he was a Post-Master of Merton College. At Oxfoed he was a member of the O.T.C. and volunteered for sewrvice when was was imminent. He was gazetted to the 3rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers early in August last as second lieutenant and went to the front on February 1, being attached to the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

He was actually born in Ashburton, Devon and according to the 1901 and 1911 Census was referred to as Hermmann Ackerley.

Aled

Many thanks, Carmania. The information from The Times helps a great deal and I will follow up the Eton/Oxford connection.

Regards ... Maricourt

Some more info: his parents were Richard and Eliza Helen Ackerley of Quisisana, Llandridnod Wells. Commissioned to 3 RWF from OTC 15/08/1914. Promoted Lt 02/02/1915. He joined 1/RWF on 19/02/1915, according to the War Diary. He was killed 16/05/1915 at Festubert, 23 years old.

I had a photograph, but it seems to have disappeared from my HD.

J

Many thanks, Bookworm, all additional information gratefully accepted.

If the photograph turns up, please let me know.

Regards .... Maricourt

Many thanks, Bookworm, for the photograph of Ronald Ackerley - much appreciated.

I have no personal connection with him but I am doing some research on RWF Officers and he is one of them. I am especially interested in the 1915 battles the RWF took part in and, in particular, Festubert.

I tried to PM you today to tell you a bit more but the system does not allow me to send it on to you yet! A few more posts and it will be up and running.

Any connection yourself or a general interest in the RWF?

Thanks again ... Maricourt

I tried to PM you today to tell you a bit more but the system does not allow me to send it on to you yet! A few more posts and it will be up and running.

Any connection yourself or a general interest in the RWF?

I spend most of my time on the RW Forum site and only visit the GWF when someone draws my attention to a request that might interest me.

Best way to contact me is through the RW Forum. If you're not a member, I'd advise you to join asap. If you use the same nick, I'll recognise it and PM you (no minimum posts rule there). I have lots of info on RWF officers which will surely interest you.

See you there. Best regards,

J

I spend most of my time on the RW Forum site and only visit the GWF when someone draws my attention to a request that might interest me.

Best way to contact me is through the RW Forum. If you're not a member, I'd advise you to join asap. If you use the same nick, I'll recognise it and PM you (no minimum posts rule there). I have lots of info on RWF officers which will surely interest you.

See you there. Best regards,

J

Hello Bookworm

I am a member but not under the same name so will post Ackerley again ... see you there!

Maricourt