Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Devonshire Regiment

rendellers

Hi,

Looking at two men from my local memorial who are also both commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial.

Private Frank Michael Chudleigh 6887 1st Battalion died 23 Oct 1914

Private Frederick Walter Baker 9503 'B' Company 1st Battalion died 30 Oct 1914

I have their SDGW and MIC and census information but want to look further at the action they were in. From my understanding from the LLT:

on 30 September 1914 : transferred to 14th Brigade, 5th Division so they would have been at the Battle of La Boissee 10 Oct to 2 Nov.

I never seem able to search the National Archives successfully . Could someone please give me the WO reference for the war diary covering this period. (Knowing what the answer is maybe I'll be able to work out how to get it myself in future)

Many Thanks

Lindsey

Hi Martin

I have tried to PM you unsuccessfully.

I would be very grateful if you could supply any additional info on this period in which Chudleigh, Baker and another soldier who Lewes Prowse (died 27/11/1914) may have taken part. I think I may also have to invest in Atkinson's history.

The Devonshires and Royal Navy account for all 'my' 1914 men.

I think you can email me off my profile under contact information

Thank You

Kind Regards

Lindsey

Hi

I've cleared a space. I'mstillcoming to terms with the new Forum layout. Please PM again

Regards

Martin

Hi,

Looking at two men from my local memorial who are also both commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial.

Private Frank Michael Chudleigh 6887 1st Battalion died 23 Oct 1914

Private Frederick Walter Baker 9503 'B' Company 1st Battalion died 30 Oct 1914

I have their SDGW and MIC and census information but want to look further at the action they were in. From my understanding from the LLT:

on 30 September 1914 : transferred to 14th Brigade, 5th Division so they would have been at the Battle of La Boissee 10 Oct to 2 Nov.

I never seem able to search the National Archives successfully . Could someone please give me the WO reference for the war diary covering this period. (Knowing what the answer is maybe I'll be able to work out how to get it myself in future)

Many Thanks

Lindsey

Well thatsno surprise I have the same hassle as well !!!

Tony

I make the National Archives Diary reference to be WO95/1565.

Don't know if you've had the Atkinson History yet. Baker is listed as 'born Torquay, enlisted Totnes. Chudleigh is born Newton Abbot, enlisited Torquay (Newton Abbot).

There is quite a lot in Atkinson for both 23rd at Givenchy and 30th Near Festubert (actually B Coy, 1st Devons relieved on night of 29/30 and went into reserve)

If you don't have this yet I'll scan it.

TEW

Thank you TEW for your kind offer. When I sorted the men on the memorial by regiment yesterday and discovered 65 are from the Devonshire Regiment I decided the book was an essential investment and have ordered it. Your comment only reinforces this!

Lindsey

Lindsey

I have scanned 5 pages with 2 maps for 23rd to 31st. If you pm me an email I'll email them to you. They're a bit large to post on forum and reducing them may make them unusable. Incidently I just noticed that B Coy were put back into the fight later on the 30th.

I see from your profile you're at the other end of the River T, just wondered which particular memorial it is?? I looked into the Kingsteignton one some time ago.

TEW

Thanks Tew pm sent.

I started by looking at the Highweek memorial but seem to have spread to Newton Abbot and GWR. I was born in Bovey so may end up dabbling there as well!

Lindsey