Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Little known Grandfather

overthetop

Can anybody point me in the direction of WW1 Despatches. I've looked at those on The Long, Long Trail and the Despatches I'm looking for are not there. Grandfather Albert Edward Oner was bit of a bark horse, our family know very little about the man. During WW1 his regimental number was 5139, Colour Sergeant Major and later a Regimental Sergeant Major in the 11th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. He was mentioned in a Despatch from Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig, dated 7th November 1917. He was mentioned in another Despatch, by the same Field Marshal, on 8th November 1918. Only by this time he was C.S. Major (A. / R.S.M.). Would be grateful for any pointers. Kevin

By the Great War period the terminology for Warrant Officers Class 2 - above NCOs (Non-Commissioned Officers), but below Commissioned Officers in the hierachy - was Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS) and Company Sergeant Major (CSM). CSM and CQMS were appointments for men with the rank of Warrant Officers Class 2 rather than actual ranks in themselves. CSMs were the non-officers in charge of each of the four Companies of approx. 250 men, along with the Company Quartermaster Sergeants (also one per Company). The only non-officers above them were the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant and Regimental Sergeant Major (the latter sometimes known as just The Sergeant Major, other times "God"). The latter two - RSM and RSQMS - were Warrant Officers Class 1, Company Sergeant Majors (CSMs) and Company Quartermaster Sergeants were Warrant Officers Class 2.

Though Colour Sergeants still existed at the start of the war, their role was tied in with old eight companies of 100+ men structure of the pre-war Regiments, rather than the four company structure which came in just before the war.

Most of the senior Warrant Officers had served for quite a few years in the Army prior to the war. Though some of the CSMs had risen from the ranks during the war, the RSM was nearly always an old pre-war Regular.

Albert Oner has some records on ANcestry that show that he served from November 1897 and served in South Africa during the Second Boer War, and then at Malta, Bermuda, South Africa again and Mauritius. During the Great War he served in West Africa attached to the West African Regiment from 11 December 1914 to 17 June 1915 (arriving back in the UK on 28 June 1915) and in France with the 11th Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment from 6 January 1917 to 10 February 1919. He was appointed acting RSM of the 11th Hampshires in July 1918. I think you have propbably seen these pages, though?

Steve.

On the 1911 Census he's a Colour Sgt with the 2nd Bn Hampshire's based at Wynberg, Cape of Good Hope.

Thanks Steve, you've made things much clearer. Yes I have seen those pages from The London Gazette but have to admit that I didn't understand much of what I read. I also have his Medal Cards which I've had to decipher. Your explanation of army ranks make reading Granddad's records easier to understand.

On this Web Site there are transcripts of despatches from Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig but not the ones that mention my Granddad. Have you any idea where I'd find them? They were dated 7 Nov 1917 and 8 Nov 1918, and it would be great to find out what he did to be mentioned. That is, if his actions were ever recorded apart from a mention. Especially when he was awarded the Croix de Guerre on 23 June 1919.

Kevin

By the Great War period the terminology for Warrant Officers Class 2 - above NCOs (Non-Commissioned Officers), but below Commissioned Officers in the hierachy - was Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS) and Company Sergeant Major (CSM). CSM and CQMS were appointments for men with the rank of Warrant Officers Class 2 rather than actual ranks in themselves. CSMs were the non-officers in charge of each of the four Companies of approx. 250 men, along with the Company Quartermaster Sergeants (also one per Company). The only non-officers above them were the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant and Regimental Sergeant Major (the latter sometimes known as just The Sergeant Major, other times "God"). The latter two - RSM and RSQMS - were Warrant Officers Class 1, Company Sergeant Majors (CSMs) and Company Quartermaster Sergeants were Warrant Officers Class 2.

Though Colour Sergeants still existed at the start of the war, their role was tied in with old eight companies of 100+ men structure of the pre-war Regiments, rather than the four company structure which came in just before the war.

Most of the senior Warrant Officers had served for quite a few years in the Army prior to the war. Though some of the CSMs had risen from the ranks during the war, the RSM was nearly always an old pre-war Regular.

Albert Oner has some records on ANcestry that show that he served from November 1897 and served in South Africa during the Second Boer War, and then at Malta, Bermuda, South Africa again and Mauritius. During the Great War he served in West Africa attached to the West African Regiment from 11 December 1914 to 17 June 1915 (arriving back in the UK on 28 June 1915) and in France with the 11th Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment from 6 January 1917 to 10 February 1919. He was appointed acting RSM of the 11th Hampshires in July 1918. I think you have propbably seen these pages, though?

Steve.

Thanks John, This is the MID I hadn't seen, I'll have to improve my search skills. The other two I was able to find on The London Gazette web site. The Gazette lists the names those mentioned in despatches but not their actions that warrant the mention. Do you know where I'd find full transcripts of the despatches? The Long, Long Trail has transcripts of some of them but not those of 7 Nov 1917 or 8 Nov 1918, written by Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig.

Kevin

And MID LG 28/12/1918

http://www.london-ga...pplements/15153

John

Thanks for the tip, I downloaded the 1911 census this afternoon.

Kevin

On the 1911 Census he's a Colour Sgt with the 2nd Bn Hampshire's based at Wynberg, Cape of Good Hope.