Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify German unit Toboly Bridgehead, April 3 1917

Tom W.

Can anybody tell me if there was any German unit numbered "12" at the attack on the Toboly Bridgehead, April 3, 1917? I think that's a "12" on the shoulder strap...

post-7020-080754100 1280704868.jpg

Tom

This is a tricky one. The main infantry formation involved was 1st Landwehr Division and none of its numbers correspond as far as I can tell. However, at the end of February 1917 the division was reinforced by unspecified regiments of 86th and 91st Infantry Divisions. Of course all these regiments had high numbers in the 300 and 400 series, but I notice that 91st Infantry Division did contain elements of Jaeger Regiment zu Pferd 12 and those troops were subsequently retained by 1st Landwehr into 1918. Just a thought that that regiment could be the one you are looking for. How do you know where the photo was taken by the way?

Jack

Jack, the writing on the back says in pencil that it's flamethrower training at Toboly in 1917. Dismounted cavalry served as assault troops, so maybe these men--all with grenade bags--are from Jaeger Regiment zu Pferd 12.

post-7020-073171600 1280742761.jpg

The back of the card says "Flammenwerfer bei Toboly in Tätigkeit, Kriegjahr 1917." (Flamethrower at Toboly in activity, war-year 1917.)

post-7020-098642100 1280743131.jpg

I think that it is perfectly possible that these jaegers took on the flamethrower role for the attack. To flame was ascribed one of the main reasons for a swift overwhelming of the Russian defences. The best way of checking would be to look in the regimental history Geschichte des Jaeger-Regiments zu Pferde Nr. 12 by Schoen 1939. I do not have access to a copy here, but somebody else may be able to check for you. Because that particular battle was spectacularly successful for the German army, it would probably have been given prominence in the history if they were there.

Jack

By the way, the writing on the card is actually Fruehjahr = spring.

Jack