Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt William Irvin Brown DSM

koomwah

Hi everyone,

This is a first post, so apologies if it's in the wrong place. I have so many questions regarding my research it is difficult to know where to begin

and what to ask first, so as I'm off to France this week I'll start with locations!

I'm researching my great grandfather,

23590 Sgt William Irvin Brown DCM, B Coy, 13th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment, 121st Brigade, 40th Division.

I already know a fair amount but am now getting down to some detail and wonder if anyone can help with a war diary for his unit.

I know the raid in which he was awarded his DCM was carried out on the night of 7th/8th October in the Loos area,

Having read the 40th division history I now know this was South of the Double Crassier in the Maroc sector,

so does anyone have a diary with entries for these dates so I could pinpoint the area more precisely?

Secondly, I know he was mortally wounded at Bourlon during the attack of 23rd November and would really like to try and pinpoint the area more precisely.

I believe the 13th were on the left of the division but I do not know the positioning of the companies!

I know this is a big ask but would be really grateful if anyone has this info & could let me know.

Thanks in advance

Darren Pulman

I've copied this from the look up forum as I thought it may be better here!

Hi Darren.

Welcome to the Forum.

The following is not from the War Diary of the 13th but from 'The Green Howards In The Great War' by H.C. Wylly.

Just some 'back ground' for you:

'Of the early history of this Battalion there is very little on record, but presumably it followed the usual course of intensive home training pursuid by the majority of newly raised battalions in those hectic days until, on the 27th May, 1916, the Battalion, being then stationed at Woking under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel H.E. Falls, received orders to mobilize for active service. Mobilization was completed the same day, and on the 4th June the 13th Green Howards, strength thirty-four officers and nine hundred and ninety-five other ranks, entrained at Woking for Southampton, which was reached the same afternoon. The wind was then very high and the sea rough, so that the crossing was deferred until the following evening, and Le Havre was reached in the early hours of the 6th.'

There is now a list Darren of officers who embarked with the battalion:

Lieutenant-Colonel H.E. Falls

Majors F.T. Tristram & W. Fox.

Captains T.Ryan, H.G. Bigg-Wither, H.Smith, J.R. Stewart, J.A. Kirby, J.A. Mansfield and T.H.C. Hopkins.

Lieutenants N.M. Vickers, C.C. Elborne, N.V. Harle, A.A.H. Jones, L.H. Jones, P.M. Phillips, T.K. Pickard and G.F.P. Worthington.

Second-Lieutenants C.H. Wallis, J.F. Johns, P.B. Hope, H.B. Seager, H.H. Simpkin, A.W. Simpkin, D.C.R. Miller, H.J. Graves, M.W.J. Kelly, J.H.G. Bayles, H.W. Walton, F.H. Dowton and W.Scott.

Captain and Adjutant J.Virgo, Lieutenant and Quartermaster C.Johnson, and Lieutenant W.Brownlie, R.A.M.C.

Loos Sector

'During the month of August, Second-Lieutenants W.H. Porter, C.F. Jennings and G.H. Perkins joined the Battalion, which on the 5th September went back for a few days rest to the Bois-du-Froissart, the Brigade then on the 11th taking over the Loos sector from the 119th Brigade; here the 13th Green Howards were thus disposed - "A" and "C" Companies occupying billets in the Enclosure, "B" having two platoons in the Village Line and two in Lens Road Redoubt, while "D" Company was in Duke Street; and while occupying this sector several raids were carried out.

In an attempt to raid the enemy's trenches on the night of the 26th, the German wire was successfully blown up and the trench rushed. Second-Lieutenant R.Langley, who was O.C. raiding party, and Sergeant Micklethwaite succeeded in entering the trenches, but Second Lieutenant Langley was badly wounded, and Sergeant Micklethwaite made several unsuccessful attempts to raise and carry off the wounded officer, but failed, and the hostile bombing being very heavy, he and the rest of the party only got back with great difficulty. Several other attempts to recover the officer were later made, but equally fruitless, and he consequently fell into the hands of the enemy. During this month Lieutenant P.M. Phillips and five men were killed, Second-Lieutenant H.J. Graves and eight men were wounded.'

October.

'On the nights of the 7th and 8th October two more raids were undertaken by the Battalion while in this sector of the line; on the night of the 7th-8th "B" Company blew four gaps in the enemy's wire round the Long Sap, and two raiding parties under Second-Lieutenants A.W. Simpkin and L.A. Venables then entered the enemy's trenches, captured two Germans and killed five others, while the bombers also claimed to have inflicted some loss. On the following night a party of "C" Company under Second-Lieutenants Hodgson and Perkins was equally successful, entering the German trenches and occupying them for fifty-eight minutes; they captured no prisoners, but killed some twenty of the enemy, and brought away rifles, bayonets, gas masks, identity discs, shoulder straps and other articles taken from the slain. This raiding party had one officer - Second-Lieutenant Hodgson and seven men wounded, one of whom died; the officer was wounded in the knee on entering the trench, but "carried on" and was the last to come away from the German front line.

There were many congratulations for the Battalion on the success of these two raids from the Corps, Division and Brigade Commanders, and Sergeant W.Cartlidge, Corporal W.I. Brown, Lance-Corporal D.Moore and Private Gourlay were specially mentioned for excellent work.'

Best wishes

Chris.

Small point of order: extremely unlikely to be a DSM [Distinguished Service Medal] as that was the equivalent of the Military Medal for Sailors. Much more likely to be a DCM [Distinguished Conduct Medal] - a more senior award; second to the Victoria Cross for non-officers.

Thanks for the info Chris that helps a lot, I really must get a copy of that book.

Sorry Staffsyeoman, you are of course quite right it should read DCM. A bit of a brain **** on my behalf,

As promised Darren, from Wylly.

The following is from an account contributed by an officer of the 13th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment:

"Brigade H.Q. was beneath the church of Graincourt in deep vaults which the retiring Germans were preparing for our reception - indeed, the pioneers entrusted with these preparations were hurrying up the steep steps of the vaults as the Brigade staff was descending it. There were also Germans still lingering in the trench system which the 13th took over on the night of the 22nd November. A German machine-gun section and crew were still ensconced in the middle of 'A' Company's line; however, that stout Yorkshireman, Captain J.H.G. Bayles, commanding the company, and a few of his meery men, soon 'winkled' those Germans out of their little hole.

The orders for the attack arrived just after midnight on the 22nd; the hour of zero was 10 a.m. next day and the objective Bourlon Village and Wood. The 20th Middlesex were on the right of the Battalion, the 21st Middlesex in support, and the 12th Suffolk in reserve.

The morning of the 23rd November came in with a blustering north-east wind sending cloud-shadows chasing over the undulating ground. An occasional scud of sleet made way for spells of sunshine in which Bourlon Wood to the east glowed in ragged autumn finery, while Moeuvres church tower stood out above the ruins of the village. The 13th Green Howards were drawn up with 'A' and 'C' Companies in front, 'B' in support and 'D' in reserve. By 9.30 a.m. the forms of tanks, making their way up from the south, loomed up more plainly, and the nonchalant manner in which they leant against a brick wall and then moved on leaving a ruin behind them, was much appreciated. These tanks which had been out and active for several days were as ever thoroughly up to their business, and certainly added much to the high confidence animating the 13th Green Howards.

The advance had just begun when young Walton, the Battalion Signalling officer, was shot through the heart, probably by a German machine gun.

The Battalion went forward behind the tanks, meeting with some resistance at first, and under a galling flank fire from machine guns. By midday the outskirts of Bourlon had been effectually cleared and organized, and all resistance swept away. The village itself was then cleared with a good deal of hand-to-hand fighting, touch being maintained in the village with the 20th Middlesex on the right. What orders had been given to the troops on the left of the Battalion I do not know; they appear to have been ordered to wait until the leading battalions of the 40th Division should have gained their respective objectives, but even then no move was made. In the meantime the lines of communication had become unduly extended and exposed - in fact the left was in the air, and support and reserve companies had to be put in to fill the gap, into which some of the 21st Middlesex in support were also later drawn.

By 3 p.m. the Germans considered the Bourlon psition as lost and began to bombard the place, then commencing a series of counter-attacks from the front, from the north-east, and on the left flank from the north-west, which made an obtuse angle in the front line, exposing both sides of the angle to flanking fire. The Quarry in E5 was organized, the chateau was held by 'A' Company though frequently surrounded by the enemy, and the Battalion was in a position to hang on whatever befell, though unhappily there were no reserves immediately available to enable the 13th Gren Howards to gain yet more ground and consolidate along the railway line. It was not till some time between 8 and 9 that evening that reinforcements arrived - a composite battalion of cavalry under Colonel Franks of the 19th Hussars, whose badge, the cypher of Queen Alexandra, made the Battalion feel happy and comfortable. The line was then taken over by the cavalry, the relief being completed soon after midnight on the 23rd, and the Battalion then returned for three days to the neighbourhood of the Sugar Refinery. On the evening of the 26th November the 13th Green Howards fell back, passing a night in the former Hindenburg Line before going back into reserve. On the march, near Havrincourt Wood, the Commander-in-Chief, Field-Marshall Sir Doglas Haig, met the Battalion and expressed his high approval of the conduct of all ranks in the attack on Bourlon."

As regards casualties Darren, the narrative continues;

'Of the Battalion - twenty-five officers and four hundred and fifty other ranks - who went into Bourlon on the morning of the 23rd, less than one hundred came back of the non-commissioned officers and men, and no more than eight of the officers, including Battalion Headquarters. Second-Lieutenant Barrington Baker was hit early in the advance while helping a wounded Lewis gunner out of danger; the man fell back and Second-Lieutenant Baker, also wounded by then, pulled him in again.'

Finally.

'The Officer Commanding the 13th Battalion The Green Howards received the following letter from Major-General J. Ponsonby, commanding the 40th Division, dated 4th December:

"I wished very much to have been able myself to see your Battalion and to tell them how gratified I was with their splendid efforts on November 23rd, but owing to so many moves I have so far been unable to do so, but will take the earliest opportunity. Your Battalion greatly distinguished themselves throughout all those three days' hard fighting, and I hope you will convey to the men my very grateful thanks for their fine efforts and my appreciation of their soldierly qualities."

All the best to you Darren.

Chris.

Thanks for the fantastic post Chris, I'm currently on the way to the south of France on a family holiday. I hope to be visiting Loos & Bourlon on the way home & your info will really help.