Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 39543 J Morton Machine Gun Co

jainvince

Private Alfred James Morton

Born in Burton on Trent in March 1895, he enlisted into the 6th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers and served in Gallipoli being hospitalised from 11th September 1915 until 6th November 1915. He again went into hospital in June 1916. He transferred to MGC on 10th August 1916 whilst in Egypt. During late February 1917, he embarked HT Maniton for Marseilles. He died of wounds on the 30th November 1911 and buried in Bethune Town Cemetery.

As i hope to include Pte morton in my talk in September, I'd like to know where he may have been when he was wounded. If wounded around Cambrai, would he have been brought back to Bethune area? any assistance would be appreciated.

Bernard

No problem Bernard, sorry I couldn't help more......from my own research the MGC does seem somewhat difficult .......

I assume your Man's service record is not available......sorry I don't have access to check.....

Why not ask on the document forum if anyone is going to Kew to have a look at the WD for you around the time of his death......he may not be mentioned by name.......but at least you'll know where the Company was.

It is unusual for OR's to be listed in the War Diaries. but it does happen on occasion.

Paul

The service record is available under the Lancashire number (crossed out and 39543 added in manuscript but not showing on a search) but I assume you have that, given the details you've set out?