Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Lothian War Memorials

alf mcm

The West Lothian Family History Society has put online photographs of many of the War Memorials in West Lothian. Each memorial also has a list of names. To view these memorials go to www.wlfhs.org.uk and click on the section 'WEST LOTHIAN WAR MEMORIALS' down the left hand side.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks for this impressive listing Alf.

Thanks for this impressive listing Alf.

Thanks,

Unfortunately I can't take any credit myself for this list, I was simply reporting it. I noticed your David Meikle is on the Longridge memorial, and the one in Fauldhouse. This is the benefit of a site like this since some men are commemorated on more than one memorial, and having them all together makes them easier to check.

Regards,

Alf McM

You're quite right, Anne,

I would recommend that anyone interested in West Lothian should look at both sites.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hello Alf,

I've just been reading this thread and wondered if you were able to help with a query I have on the West Lothian burial site of one of the men commemorated on the Elgin War Memorial in Moray?

He was Pte 1174A Charles William Stuart who served in the 58th Battalion of the AIF. He died of influenza on 5 December 1918 at 2nd General Scottish Hospital and is buried in Blackfaulds Private Burial Ground.

I've been unable to find out anything about this burial site and wondered if you could maybe help?? I'm not clear why he would be buried there as his mother lived in Nethy Bridge.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!!

Jill

Hello Jill,

It's interesting to hear that Charles is commemorated in Elgin. He was born in Inverness according to his service records, which are available on line for free at the National Australian Archives {all 129 pages!}. These records give some details of his funeral. Charles enlisted in Australia and was married. The Blackfaulds private cemetery is in the grounds of what was Blackfaulds Farm, now broken up. It consists of a circular walled enclosure with a high wall all round. There is a wooden door which leads into it. Charles's mother was a Blackhall who married a Baillie Stuart from Inverness. This explains why he came to be buried there. If you require any further information please let me know.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks for this, Alf. When you say that his mother was a Blackhall, I presume then that the family originally owned the Blackfaulds farm? I haven't trawled through the 129 pages (yet) but there is a rather poignant letter from Charles' wife in the Australian Red Cross files which indicates that she didn't seem to know much about his final resting place.

It certainly answers my question - thanks very much!

Jill

It seems odd that this man is on the Elgin memorial. Can it be proved it is the same man? The Morayshire Roll Roll of Honour may give more details.

It seems odd that this man is on the Elgin memorial. Can it be proved it is the same man? The Morayshire Roll Roll of Honour may give more details.

Hi Jim,

Yes...no doubt of that. He appears in the Morayshire RoH on page 436. He is also commemorated on the Abernethy and Grantown on Spey War Memorial. He attended the Elgin Academy and is commemorated on the War Memorial within the school. A history of Elgin Academy provides brief biographical details of those commemorated and indicates that Charles was the son of Baillie Stuart of Elgin, which presumably accounts for his inclusion on the Elgin War Memorial. The Northern Scot edition of 14/12/18 has a death notice for him, which indicates that his father had predeceased him.

Jill

• 6 years later...
On 8/1/2010 at 18:50, Jills1954 said:

Hello Alf,

I've just been reading this thread and wondered if you were able to help with a query I have on the West Lothian burial site of one of the men commemorated on the Elgin War Memorial in Moray?

He was Pte 1174A Charles William Stuart who served in the 58th Battalion of the AIF. He died of influenza on 5 December 1918 at 2nd General Scottish Hospital and is buried in Blackfaulds Private Burial Ground.

I've been unable to find out anything about this burial site and wondered if you could maybe help?? I'm not clear why he would be buried there as his mother lived in Nethy Bridge.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!!

Jill

Jill,

I popped over to see this yesterday. I was told there was a Soldier buried in one of the fields at the Back of Armadale, turns out to be nearer Avonbridge!

Do You have a photo of Charles?

Kind Regards

Tom

17157781_1900260030203019_6745782018039231199_o.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi Tommie 

Any idea the exact location of this. Tried to find it using the satellite on CWGC but led you to the wrong location.

Stuart

Stuart,

If it's any help, this is the cemetery from the outside.

Photo from West Lothian Family History Society.

Regards,

Alf McM

BLACKFAULDS_STUART_CHARLES_WILLIAM_11742-02.JPG

Thanks Alf. I seen that online but could not find it anywhere. I think it may be over the other side close to the main road. Where the satellite drop is on CWGC is not the location but I think it’s close. 

• 1 month later...

Hi i tried to find this a few years ago after Alf told me about it, and spent hours looking for it. We did find it but for some reason we were unable to get to it as the field around it was flooded. There is a road that goes up closer to it, but it is private property. If my memory is correct it is much closer to Avon Brig than Armadale that was what threw us off the track. If you come out of Avondale from Falkirk direction head right up the hill and follow that road to the left .There is a large clump of trees and the building is in there on left hand side of the road.

Seivy.