Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Monuments in Canada Website.

chris.wight

No doubt most Canadian Pals will be aware of this site (I wasn't though until the other day) but I thought I'd mention it for the benefit of people outside Canada - "We Will Remember" website.

This was a project done by Memorial University of Newfoundland with people from across the country sending in photos, background information, and in some cases listing the names on the Memorials.

The Memorials are listed by Province, and then by town.

The project finished in 2000, which is unfortunate in a way since many more people own digital cameras now than then making for easier uploads. Also a number of towns have no coverage - Sherbrooke in Quebec comes to mind.

All the same, it's great that time was taken to put this on the internet.

Chris.

Thanks for pointing out the Canadian work on the forum, when I first came across it almost by accident via a search engine I could not believe my luck, at a mouse click I was getting information and photographs of men I was at the time researching.

It rather leaves us lacking somewhat, but just shows what can be done by willing volunteers.

David.

• 1 month later...

That's a great site, but as you noted, it is no longer updated.

I use this site for any memorials I can't find on the original site:

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/memorial/engraph/search_e.asp?cat=2

You can look up the memorials by province, and the information is sent in by volunteers. Memorials listed include all types such as plaques, scrolls, etc., and not just outdoor statues.

In some cases, where the volunteer had time, all the names on the memorial are listed.

Welcome to the Forum, Canadawwi. :)

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen it!

Welcome to all fellow Canadians!

My picture of poppies blooming around the Cobourg Ontario War Memorial. Taken last weekend.

post-19-1090790605.jpg

Hi Marika, nice to see you here. Enjoy all the resources Monsieur Baker has established!

Peter in Vancouver