Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inkerman Barracks

DCliff

My Grandfather Sergeant Arthur Hewins 16706 sent the attached card to his wife, it is franked 27 Feb 1915. I no nothing about this place, so any information welcolme. I have a hi-res scan of this card if anyone would like one.post-38589-009009800 1280479278.jpg

I live almost next door to what was Inkerman Barracks it's now just Inkermann Road with just a handful of the early small buildings converted into houses.

It was last utilised during WWII I think!

I live almost next door to what was Inkerman Barracks it's now just Inkermann Road with just a handful of the early small buildings converted into houses.

Well there's a turn up, I live about half a mile away!

The site remained in use till the late 1950s gradually falling into disuse until its closure c.1965 when, with the exception of some of the original Victorian staff housing mentioned by CTguards(before conversion and renaming as Inkerman the buildings had housed a male and female prison purpose built in the 1860's), it was demolished, acquired by Woking BC mainly for housing use. During WW1 the barracks were used to house men who were undergoing training as part of Kitchener's 'New Army'. A previous posting (Click) gives details of a Royal Inspection visit to St. Johns in the early months of the war and some further background information on the barracks. There are several different postcard views (including that shown) which regularly turn up on eBay and elsewhere; it's not difficult to imagine that they would have been popular way of writing home to friends and families.

NigelS

That brings back memories; my father was based there with the RMP. It was in the early to mid 50's and it was his second stint in the army. He left there in late 1955 I believe when he transferred to the RAOC and moved to Deepcut.

Garth

Hi,

Have a look through this site http://www.redcap70.net/Depot_Inkerman4.html/ In the first set of photos there are some that show Inkerman being demolished.

My Father was there in the early 50's

Regards,

Norman

When I was posted with-in the area for the first time my Army quarter was at the old Inkerman barrack quarters area at Knaphill,Woking, this was in 1993. All the quarters were sold off in the mid to late 1990s (It feels such a long time a go)

Hi there guys,

Was it also at one time known as Brookwood and used as the asylum.

Cheers Roger.

No, but you are only 400 yards away part of the assylum is stiil there (luxury flats) and where I used to live!

I was born in Pirbright and also have memories of Inkerman Barracks. I remember on my way to Knaphill School 6 or 7 learner drivers in small tanks or tracked vehicles who regularly lost control of there vehicles, mounting the pavement and knocking down garden fences, streetlamps and anything else that was in there way including my fathers garden shed, or spinning round and round in the road doing doughnuts (I think the youngsters call them) Can you imagine that happening today?

• 8 years later...

Are you gentlemen familiar with the fact that troops were sent from Inkerman Barracks by H G Wells to cordon off the Martian ship in the early chapters of ‘War of the Worlds’?

• 1 year later...

Hi gents (and ladies),

is there someone of you who has knowledge/information on activities held at Inkerman Barracks during WW1, more specifically September 1918. I try to find out whether the "Athletic Sports" held in September were connected to the 2nd SAI reserve "Battalion's Day", or were this independent events? Any information, no matter how little, is very welcome!!

Sincerely

Dirk