Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

george allday (54th Company RGA)

chrisa999

Hi all first post here. I am trying to find information about my grand father. All I know at the moment is that he was in 54th Company RGA and was stationed in Gibraltar in 1906 ( he got married there). I have checked the Medal cards and found a george allday who was a pvt then srgnt in the RGA where he recieved the Victory and Britain medals (roll RGA 101b page 42 ) and Star (Roll RGA3b page 708 ). Theatre of war first served in was (3) Egypt 19/7/15. I am looking for info on George Allday ( i dont think I will be that lucky) or any information on the 54th company RGA to try and trace his movments.

Chris,

The 54 Company was one of about seven RGA batteries garrisoned at Gibraltar. They are shown as still there Dec 1914, establishment 4 Officers, 9 Serjeants, 3 trumpeters and 76 OR’s.

What may be of more interest is the medal roll reference the MIC refers to lists 10 Hvy Bty as the battery Sgt 3281 George ALLDAY served with in a theatre of war. This is confirmed by the DoE 19.7.1915 (Egypt). On this date 10 HB disembarked at Alexandria, the main proportion sailing on to fight at Mudross/ Sulva Bay at Gallipoli

Rgds Paul

Wow you guys are good more info in a few minutes than i could find in weeks of looking. Is there any way i can find list of the men in 54 company between 1906 to 1914 to prove he was definatly there during this time period. Thank you for this help

Regards

Chris

ororkep I have attached a document ORDER OF BATTLE OF EGYPTIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE, SEPTEMBER 1918

it lists on page 17

10th Heavy Battery, RGA (4 x 60pdrs) in 96th Brigade, RGA

Would this be the division etc my grandfather eas sent to

http://www.ordersofbattle.darkscape.net/site/history/open4/uk_eygptianexpeditionaryforce1918.pdf

Thanks for your help with this

Chris,

I think the first thing you have to do is prove that you have the right man. Do you have any evidence that your grandfather served not only in WW1, but also served at Gallipoli and in Palestine?

As to which division the battery served with, and which brigade, would depend on the time scale. Searching this forum, the LLT and Google would give you some reading matter.

If your grandfather was 3281 George Allday then his number would indicate someone enlisting in 1900. This would mean that under normal terms of enlistment he would not have been serving at the start of the war. Given he has the same number then it would indicate he must have extended his term before the war. Have you found him on the 1911 census?

To find him mentioned anywhere would take a lot of research. Certainly unlikely before 1914. Your only hope that I can think of is that he is metioned in someone elses records when he was promoted. I could certainly give some gunners names and numbers, and I am sure Paul could give you many more. You would probably be looking to see what records have survived for nearly the whole of teh 10th Heavy Battery.

The only other thing I have seen regarding the 10th Heavy Battery is from the receipt of medals, in one gunners records, where he has to sign and state unit, he also added "The Fighting Tenth" underneath.

Kevin

Sadly I have little evidence that George Allday even existed. In researching my family tree I cannot find his birth, any records of him in census or his death. The only info I have is from his marriage certificate when he married my Granmother in Gibralter. On the wedding certificate it states he was in the 54th Company RGA. As regards to his Milatry history I can only find one Gerge Allday in the RGA medal card. Stating he was first a pvt then Srgnt ( no 3281). also that he went to egypt 19/7/15. his medals are as follows

Medal Roll Page

Victory RGA 101B 42

Britain RGA 101B 42

Star RGA 3B 708

I am going to the national archives in a few weeks do you have any ideas as to the documants I should request to try and find more info on him.

If it wasnt for my dad being born I would wonder if he even really exsisted.

Many thanks for your help with this

Chris Allday

Also forgot to add when he got married in 1906 he was stationed at the Town Range BCS Gibralyar. His rank was Gunner GRA and he was 22 yrs old

Chris