Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a 'lost' Hants War Memorial

Marc Thompson

This request is an extreme longshot concerning the whereabouts of a 'lost' Hampshire war memorial.

I have just come across the website for the Hampshire Constabulary History Society which on its noticeboard of help needed includes the following:

In the 1920's a memorial, in the form of a stone pier, was installed in the entrance steps to the old police Headquarters in Winchester. This was in memory of those Hampshire officers who were killed in the Great War and listed their names. The pier 'disappeared' after the old building was demolished in the 1960s - does anyone know what happened to it?

I know for a fact that another plaque recording the names still exists at the Police Headquarters in Winchester as I have researched the background to one of the officers listed on it for another local memorial.

Is anyone able to offer any help or clues regarding the original stone pier?

If the forum comes up trumps on this then I definitely will be buying Chris several drinks at the Forum Users Dinner!

Regards

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

This is not an isolated case. I know that there is a hunt on for a war memorial that 'went walkies' from Southall, Middlesex. It was in the grounds of a school but after the it closed the memorial vanished. I believe Elvis Costello's father was involved in the hunt for it at one point.

Marc - Without stating the blooming obvious - have you tried the Friends of War memorials?

Thanks for your suggestion Lee. I have already tried the Friends of War memorials who weren't able to shed any light on the whereabouts of the memorial.

If I were to make a guess then I would say that the stone pier was destroyed either by ignorance or accident when the old building was demolished in the 1960's. Other forum members may know different?

Do you know the name of the school in Southall?

Regards

Marc

Do you know the name of the school in Southall?

Nope! With old age creeping ever closer I can't remember where I saw the article :huh:

Life isn't going to get any better in May when I'm 36! :unsure:

I'll have a look through my books/magazines etc and hope I find the article again!

I believe Elvis Costello's father was involved in the hunt for it at one point.

I wonder if he enlisted Olivers Army to help! :D

I know it's a long shot Marc but it may be worth looking through the papers for the time. There's a good chance the demolition would have been mentioned in one of the weekly papers. Not sure what they have got in the library for the period but I can guarantee you will find the staff very helpful. It may well be that the Pier was given to some group or organisation and the current staff don't even know they have it. I think most of the museums in the town have more in the vaults than they have on display.

Thanks for your suggestion Alan. This was the only other avenue that I could come up with as well which I shall try. I can vouch for the helpfulness of the staff in the Local History Section of my Library. Unfortunately, I seem to go there so often they know me by name now as soon as I pop in the door!

Marc

• 2 years later...

Interesting echo of this is outside the new Windsor cop shop where there is the forgotten base of a war memorial inaugurated by the Duke of Connaught in the 20's . I think the rest of it may be elsewhere in Windsor.