Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wexford Soldier died in WW1

Tierney

Hi, I have just discovered the birthplace of my gfather was New Ross Co.Wexford (from the Wales 1911 census) I've also discovered that he had several brothers, and found them in the 1901 Irish Census in New Ross.

Also found that brother Nicholas died in WW1.

I have some information but wondered if there was anything else?

Nicholas Kehoe, died age 27. Service No 13331. Grenadier Guards. (from CGWC site) KIA France 26/10/1914.

Also from a look up on another site, :

that he is listed in The Wexford War Dead. and that there are other Kehoes listed. Also Edward Kehoe, Edward may be the other brother but I dont have any other information for him.

I have also been given details of his medal card entry. 1914 Star, BWM and VM. Entered France 6.10.1914.

Many thanks

Pauline.

Pauline

As he was a Guardsman his records are probably at the Guard's Archive at Wellington Barracks,London:

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/records.htm

and scroll down to Item 3.in records.

Sotonmate

From 'The Wexford War Dead.'

KEHOE, NICHOLAS. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Grenadier Guards. Unit: 4th Coy. 1st Bn. Age at Death: 27. Date of Death: 26-October-1914. Service No: 13331. Born in New Ross, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Pontypridd. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of the late Thomas and Margaret Kehoe; husband of Margaret Kehoe of 18, Milford St, Splotlands, Cardiff. Born at New Ross, Co. Wexford. From and article in the ECHO newspaper; Official news reached Ross on Saturday that Private Nicholas Kehoe, of the Irishtown, was killed in Belgium.

He was out scouting with a few others when they were surprised by Germans and shot. Private Thos Neill, Neville street, has arrived home. He was seriously wounded at the Yser. From an article in the ‘People’; Nicholas Kehoe, Irishtown, New Ross, has also been officially reported killed. The sad announcement was conveyed in the usual way to his Grandmother, with whom he had lived. Grave or Memorial Reference: XVIII. D. 14. Cemetery: Harlebeke New British Cemetery in Belgium.

Thats what pals are for, helping each other.

Regards.

Tom.

Pauline

I can add a bit more to what you already have.

The Western Mail (Cardiff) 30.11.1914: employed as a coal-trimmer; played forward for Pontypridd Rugby Football Club; photograph.

The South Wales Daily News (Cardiff) 23.10.1917: had one child.

He is also commemorated on the Splott War Memorial and on a roll of honour for the Dowlais Iron Works, East Moors, Cardiff. (East Moors is part of Splott).

A coal-trimmer, incidentally, wasn't a miner. Trimmers usually worked at the docks, loading and trimming the coal in the holds of ships.

Gwyn

Pauline

I can add a bit more to what you already have.

The Western Mail (Cardiff) 30.11.1914: employed as a coal-trimmer; played forward for Pontypridd Rugby Football Club; photograph.

The South Wales Daily News (Cardiff) 23.10.1917: had one child.

He is also commemorated on the Splott War Memorial and on a roll of honour for the Dowlais Iron Works, East Moors, Cardiff. (East Moors is part of Splott).

A coal-trimmer, incidentally, wasn't a miner. Trimmers usually worked at the docks, loading and trimming the coal in the holds of ships.

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn, Oh thank you, thats great, Next time we make a trip to Wales I'll have to try and get a photo of the Splott War Memorial, and maybe a trip to the library to look at the paper, it sounds like there may have been a photo of him. Also I may look into the rugby club as there may be more info there?

Thank you again,

Pauline

Gwyn,

I never knew that about "trimmers" - thank you.

Pauline

Gwyn,

I thought you might like to know that I contacted Cardiff Library and they have found the articles you referred to, I am just sending them a cheque today and they will send me copies of the newspaper articles and also photocopy of St Saviours Church War Memorial history and roll of honour. They were unable to find any roll of honour for Dowlais Iron Works. But I am so pleased, and eagerly awaiting the copies!

Many thanks,

Pauline.

Pauline

I'm glad that you've had a good response from Cardiff library. I've always found them very helpful. It's possible they have the Dowlais roll listed under East Moors Works.

Regards

Gwyn