Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7TH Battallion Durham Light Infantry

S R Chalk

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can help me find out where and what the 7th DLI were doing on 26/03/18. My Great Uncle Pte Thomas William Chalk 78961, was serving with them and was killed on that day. He is buried at Brie British Cemetery, The Somme, which I am planning to visit in September, so I want to know what happened before I pay my respects.

Thank You.

S R Chalk

Hi

Some detail from the 50th Divisional history:

On the night of the 25th March the 7/DLI were in front of Estrées astride the Brie-Amiens Road. On the morning of the 26th began the Battle of Rosières, the Germans coming on in great strength forcing the scattered units to withdraw to a line running roughly Rosières to Vauvillers. At 4pm on the 26th the 4/NF counter-attacked and drove the enemy out of the western part of the village of Framerville. They were helped by A & B Companies of the 7/DLI, who forced their way through the village twice but were driven back by machine-gun fire and manned a line 500 yards south of the village. At dusk all troops were withdrawn and "occupied posts immediately on the southern side of the main railway"

Regards

Martin

Hello Martin

Thank you very much for the information, it sheds a lot of light on what happened to my Great Uncle Thomas.

Thanks Again.

S.R.Chalk

Hi

Some detail from the 50th Divisional history:

On the night of the 25th March the 7/DLI were in front of Estrées astride the Brie-Amiens Road. On the morning of the 26th began the Battle of Rosières, the Germans coming on in great strength forcing the scattered units to withdraw to a line running roughly Rosières to Vauvillers. At 4pm on the 26th the 4/NF counter-attacked and drove the enemy out of the western part of the village of Framerville. They were helped by A & B Companies of the 7/DLI, who forced their way through the village twice but were driven back by machine-gun fire and manned a line 500 yards south of the village. At dusk all troops were withdrawn and "occupied posts immediately on the southern side of the main railway"

Regards

Martin