Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rfa soldier research

kevin donaldson

Hello there i am wondering if anybody can help me research my great uncle who served in the Royal Field Artillery. His name was James Moodie Donaldson and was from sunderland. I have his service records what are left of them, but cannot find his MIC. He lived at Victoria street, southwick, and was enrolled into the 160th wearside brigade, B battery. He then went onto be part of the 55th med brigade, rfa.

I have looked through the mic all named to James Donaldson and the only one i think that could be his Reg number 47261. Could anybody help to see if this is correct, thank you

The only 'Donaldson' listed in the 'Nominal Roll' in The History of the Locally Raised 160th (Wearside) Brigade Royal Field Artillery is '7457 Donaldson, J., Dvr., A. Batt.' Regards, Dick Flory

There's only one James M. Donaldson in the RFA, according to the MIC's (No. 47261). To check if it's your man you'll need to have a look at the War & Victory medal roll, it'll list James M. Donaldson's middle name. Have another search of the MIC's, though; there's another one to the same man, listed under J.M. Donaldson. I reckon it's likely to be an award of some kind, maybe he was mentioned in dispatches.

There's also an MIC to the man that Dick listed from the Brigade history, his name was James, so if the first one (J.M. Donaldson) doesn't come up with the correct middle name then you can be fairly sure that this James Donaldson's your man.

Kevin,

His MIC is on Ancestry.

James Donaldson, RFA Driver L/7457

Awarded British War and Victory Medals

Roll RFA/116B Page 3164

No other info on the card

Phil