Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Bell RND?

Guest kim_b

Hello,

New member so I hope I'm doing this right :)

About 6 years ago my grandmother surprised my family by announcing that her father-in-law, my great grandfather, had been in the army in WWI. I posted on another forum at the time and was given some information about the possible regiment he was in. It was suggested that he was in the Royal Naval Division (Anson) and the photo may have been taken in France.

Obviously since then many military records have gone online but my ancestor has proved to be hard to find. I have checked ancestry's records for him and cannot find any matches. A colleague at work suggesed i tried here.

My great grandfather was called Joseph Bell. He was born on the 6th Feb 1895 in Chester Moor, Co. Durham and his parents were John Bell and Elizabeth Brydon. Joseph was a coal miner for much of his life. Apparently he never spoke of his experiences in the war and his surviving children can't tell me any more information about his army life. My grandmother only knew that he had served in the army and that he was on leave when many of his battalion/regiment were killed. He always felt guilty about not being there.

I've attached a scan of the photograph i was shown. Joseph is 2nd from the right, back row.

So can anyone help me any further? I am completly sdtumped.

Best Wishes

Kim

BELL_JOSPEH_WWI_small.jpg

Hello Kim, I'm probably the least qualified person on here, but I'll have a stab.

They look like Artillerymen, possibly 'RNDA' on their sign refers to Royal Naval Division Artillery ? RFA men attached to the 63rd.

If you look at look at Long Trail website for the 63rd (Royal Navy) Division, most of the divisional artillery seems to consist of Northumbrian Brigades of the RFA, with your man coming from the North East, this might be a pointer in that direction.

http://www.1914-1918.net/63div.htm

Thanks Jotsmee :)

Maybe that means his record cards is one of the RFA ones, and why i was having no luck with the RND records. It would also explain why everyone is adament he was attached to the army.

thanks again.

Kim