Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

81st Seige Batt R.G.A

The Majors Batman

My wife has in her possesion this photograph which until today we thought was that of her maternal grandfather, until discounted by her brother,

We know of two other family members who served only knowing details of the one who fell http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=150095 could this picture relate to him in Royal Garrison Artillery .

Any help much appreciated

post-34992-035267200 1280170457.jpg

It's an artillery cap-badge. The casualty you list (H. Vine?) looks like a pre-war regular, judging by his number. It's difficult to say for sure, but it looks like the man in the photo you've posted could be wearing a TF shoulder title, which would mean that it wouldn't be him.

Can you do a clear enlargement of his epaulettes?

TMB,

Sgt Harry Vine 28648 RGA, was a pre war regular, born in Moortorn, Hants, he enlisted in Portsmouth early 1908.

He went out with the battery in March 1915 to F&F. Although he is recorded as DoW on 26.7.1917. This was almost certainly caused through gas, which he and most of his section suffered heavily from on the 24.7.1917 at Dead End Ypres, while in the service of this horse drawn battery of 6 in Howitzers.

Although the moustache would certainly fit the fashion of the time for such a pre war regular and the cap badge is correct, I agree the doubt concerning the shoulder title for the man shown in the photograph and the belted tunic.

Rgds Paul

I would, respectfully, suggest the cap badge is not correct for a prewar regular and that it is the New Army large pattern.

Roop

Orokep wrote:

Although he is recorded as DoW on 26.7.1917. This was almost certainly caused through gas, which he and most of his section suffered heavily from on the 24.7.1917

According to History of 81 Siege Battery, R.G.A. Sergt. Vine was wounded not gassed:

"July 24th, Bombr. Blake and Gunner McCafferty killed. Gunner Mills gassed. Sergt. Vine, Gunners Halsey, Beesley, Churchyard, Aylott, Duncan, Eagling, Jones (W.) and Bombr. Taylor wounded."

Dick Flory

I bow to Gunner number 1.

Yes, I had read the entry incorrectly from the same source, mistakenly thinking only Bdr Taylor was wounded and the rest of the section were gassed. My apologies TMB.

Must go to Specsavers…. My long wait for a photograph of this battery continues.

Sods law I had realised as soon as I posted, as only half my text actually showed. But try as I might, I just could not get the edit facility to work correctly. It simply would not come up for me when I clicked on it. I wondered if there are still a few glitches in the new format.

Rgds Paul

As there is doubt as to the original image relating to H Vine I thought it would be wise to include the other picture we have of my wifes grandfather who survived R.A. WW1 service only for his wife to die in 1919 leaving him with a daughter to be raised by an Aunt .

This mans details taken from 1914-1918 Service medal reads 1533 GNR A F MOXHAM RA whether this image give a clearer indication to the identity of the original, unless they are one of the same person

Thanks for the help so far

post-34992-085756500 1280225071.jpg

I'd say that it's the same man as in your first post, minus the moustache.

That's likely to be a TF number (1533), which matches my suggestion regarding picture No.1's shoulder-titles. I'd say RFA in the middle east judging by picture No.2.

Just had a quick look at A.F. Moxham's MIC details on the National Archives web-site; he started out numbered 1533, but was renumbered 860216, which tells us that he served with 3rd Brigade, Wessex Division RFA. I'm certain that they served in Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq), which matches my suggestion regarding your photo. You should be able to find their war diary at TNA.

I would, respectfully, suggest the cap badge is not correct for a prewar regular and that it is the New Army large pattern.

Roop

Roop

I have a number of RA badges and there are 2 sizes - large pattern worn up to the 1940s and the small one for the 1950s berets. I have never heard of any difference in size between pre-war regular and TF or New Army units. Can you elaborate?