Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Newspaper lookups available.

museumtom

Lookups available for newspapers of Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Offaly (King's County), Tipperary, Laois( Queens County), Clare, Kilkenny and Carlow. You must give me a month and a year though. If your man was a casualty then it is not necessary, I will already have him and anything about him in the papers.

Regards.

Tom.

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

If your kind offer is still open, I wonder if you could check for any details on the following chap for me please?

Gunner 21869 Albert Edward Baker, 5 Siege Battery RGA (born in Tipperary, enlisted in Ennis County Clare), died 26th December 1915.

Many thanks and all the best

Steve

Hello Steve.

He is not in the papers but I have been given an image of him by his grandson Christy Archer from Galway. It shows Albert and his daughter.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/Le%20Pilly/?action=view&current=AlbertBakertobeused.jpg

BAKER, ALBERT EDWARD. Rank: Gunner. Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. Unit; 5th Siege Battery. Date of Death: 26-December-1915. Service No: 21869. Age at Death, 29. Born in Tipperary. Enlisted in Ennis Co Clare. Died. Grave or Memorial Reference: VIII. C. 74. Cemetery: Boulogne Eastern Cemetery in France.

Regards.

Tom

Hi Tom,

That's excellent, thankyou. It makes such a change to be able to put a face to a name! You may be aware from previous postings of mine that I'm gradually working on a website commemorating the men who served in 5 Siege Battery; if you're still in touch with Albert's grandson perhaps you could ask him if he'd be interested in including the photo and maybe a short biography on the website?

I do have a photo of Albert's grave (courtesy of forum member burlington) if Christy would like to have a copy (but I would prefer to ask Martin's permission first as he took the photo!).

Please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks again and all the best

Steve