Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stanley Harvey

Jen Wilson

Hello,

I'm not sure where this post should be so if I am in the wrong place, please can someone transfer it?

My partner's grandfather, Stanley Harvey, was born in Lincolnshire in 1896. We would have expected him to have served in some capacity during WW1 but so far have found no trace of him. What we do know is that he worked, during peace time, with horses and so would expect that to be a factor in where we should be concentrating our search.

Can anyone advise me on likely regiments in the Lincolnshire area. I also wondered whether his job might be one which would require him to stay in the UK, as presumably somebody had to be responsible for the constant supply of horses to the war effort.

Any ideas gratefuly received.

Thanks,

Jen

do you have an address from the 1911 census?

I don't have a full address but he was with an uncle in Kirmington, Lincolnshire. His mother had died in 1902 and I can't find any trace of his father after 1901, so I have assumed that he and his brother were orphaned and living with their uncle.

Jen

Hi, just had a look through the Lincolnshire Regiment (MIC) Medal Index Cards for STANLEY HARVEY and found only one.

He was an Acting Corporal in the Army Cyclist Corps No.55953 and later served with the 2nd Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment as No.235651

(a later post 1916 into 1917 number).

His Medal Roll sheet is on my database.

It looks like he was in a group of fully fit men with various regiments who were transferred in from other units. There are quite a few who were with the Army Cyclist Corps among other regiments.

Any medal issue would have been named and numbered to him would have the Linc.R. stamping on the rim, according to his MIC.

He was entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

That is if he is your man.

I have quite a bit of info on North Lincs men, particularly Gainsborough, Brigg, Scawby, Broughton and Barton. Has he any links to these places?

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a bit of info on North Lincs men, particularly Gainsborough, Brigg, Scawby, Broughton and Barton. Has he any links to these places?

Dick

Hi Dick,

Sorry it has taken a while to reply - I have been away for the last ten days. Stanley was born in New Holland but as I am not very familiar with Lincolnshire, I don't really know if that would come within the areas you have mentioned. Is there any way of going any further in establishing whether the details you have are of my man?

Thanks,

Jen

I'm afaid without his Service Record, family papers, decent photograph or medals we are stuck for finding out.

Unless of course the church has a list of men who served, not just the men who were killed. This has helped me in the past.

The National Archive have 8 Stanley Harvey's, and 18 Stanley (?) Harvey's with another initial.

Dick