Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Going mad trying to figure out what this cap badge is, can anybody ple

JonW

Well I hope this is the second time lucky for me since I have just typed a large post and it has gone down the great black internet plughole which is incredibly frustrating!

I was wondering if anybody could please help me out identifying my great grandfathers cap badge. I have looked for hours online going through badge after badge but I just can't seem to locate it. I have a photograph here of my great grandfather sitting with his father, when he was just 17. They are both in WW1 uniform and I believe the photograph to be dated 1914.

Now his father was in the Leicestershire regiment, of that there is no doubt since his cap badge is easily identifiable. What stresses me is that I thought, logically, his son would join the same regiment, but the cap badge doesn't tell that story.

Please could anybody identify these insignia:

badge1.jpg

...I did this again negatived since it's slightly clearer:

badgenegative.jpg

Also, I was wondering if anybody knew the significance of these two flags on his arm:

flag1.jpg

Jon

Cap Badge is an Artillery one, either RFA (Royal Field Artillery), RHA (Royal Horse Artillery) or RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery). If the man has shoulder titles evident it may narrow down which part of the service he was with.

Crossed flags denote he was a Signaller.

Regards

Steve

Unfortunately we don't have any shoulder tabs to go on. We're still having trouble with the cap badge; royal artillery was looking good but I just can't seem to finger point which division

I guess then that "Artillery" is the best you're going to do from the photo unless there are any other clues?

What was your GGrandfather's name? It may help narrow things down.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

his name was Charles Robert Wells, born 1898 +/-2 yrs

Apparently went on to serve in The Coldstream guards, perhaps.

All we know is that he was in France during the Great War... not much info I know, but this is the case for the rest of my family also.

Many thanks for your help

I'll have a look for anything Coldtream related for him later today.

3x MIC cards at the N/A for Charles R Wells Royal Artillery. No Charles Robert as far as I can see

Wells Charles R. 69882 Saddler? Driver? RFA

Wells Charles R 745788 Driver RFA

Wells Charles R 141791 Gunner RGA

And only 1 Charles Wells for the coldstreams ( latterly transferred to the Labour Corps) No Charles R or Charles Robert listed

Thanks Radlad, I apologise for not replying sooner, my PC crashed.Interestingly, it was always written Charles R Wells on all forms, so this is interesting. I think I need to take myself down to the WW1 museum in Leicester. It's actually just down the road.

The flags indicate Signaller, the hatbadge is definitely artillery, of one form or another.

I'd look further at Charles Wells, C.Wells and Charles R wells, as the MIC's could have any of the name combos on them.

Tom